Dean

Riding Motorcycles For over 59 Years

Thank you Lord for all my blessings.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump:

84 Interstate Candy Wineberry Red-U, R114CU

with Ventu Craft Trailer
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Post imported post

On my way to NASSIR 1 I stopped at Jim's place and got to see the tensioner prototypes first hand.

Jim has spent some time and money on this and I will not hesitate to use his quality tensioner's when the time comes.

Thanks Jim

post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

Just wanted to let you know I changed the timing belts and tensioners and the job turned out great. I used Jim's "editor's choice" custom hex bolt method with a 12mm bolt and the Gates T42015 pulley that I got from Rockauto. Followed the directions step by step and had absolutely no problems.

Thanks Jim

It\'s not what you buy, it\'s what you build.

Victory Riders CMA Road Captain:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinios Chapter Wild Rinos Member
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

keithg64 wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I changed the timing belts and tensioners and the job turned out great. I used Jim's "editor's choice" custom hex bolt method with a 12mm bolt and the Gates T42015 pulley that I got from Rockauto. Followed the directions step by step and had absolutely no problems.

Thanks Jim
Glad to hear it gets some use... and it worked.. I was re-reading that after reading your post, and it looks like I need to edit it again... the basics are correct, but some of the details are a little messed up as I cut and pasted from method to method..

The T42015 is my favorite of the two as far as a bearing.. If you used a 12mm bolt (instead of a 10mm) I guess you had to drill out the bearing hole from 10mm to 12mm?... That works!!...I also remember that you have access to a lathe, so I presume that is how you did it?? I am guessing you had less than $50 in the pair??.. (Just for info..would have been more than $135 OEM).... Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Please take the
!
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena, and probably going back to Aiken..)
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Quote:
Glad to hear it gets some use... and it worked.. I was re-reading that after reading your post, and it looks like I need to edit it again... the basics are correct, but some of the details are a little messed up as I cut and pasted from method to method..

The T42015 is my favorite of the two as far as a bearing.. If you used a 12mm bolt (instead of a 10mm) I guess you had to drill out the bearing hole from 10mm to 12mm?... That works!!...I also remember that you have access to a lathe, so I presume that is how you did it?? I am guessing you had less than $50 in the pair??.. (Just for info..would have been more than $135 OEM).... Jim
I sorry,I did use the 10mm stainless bolt and then turned down the head of the bolt in a lathe, per your instructions, and pressed that into the flange and bolted the bearing to the flange, it work real good. The bearingis hardened so drilling it out would have been difficult. I tried to drill out the bearing to accept a 7/16 bolt but that didn't work thats when I changed to a 10mm bolt, when you use the 10mm bolt all you have to do is turn the head down to fit into the flange that you drilled out before. Worked great, thanks again.

It\'s not what you buy, it\'s what you build.

Victory Riders CMA Road Captain:

Illinios Chapter Wild Rinos Member
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM

Post imported post

any change anyone have pictures of the before and after of a rebuild?
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

perrymedic wrote:
Quote:
any change anyone have pictures of the before and after of a rebuild?
I'll take some of the versions I have... (although the sketches in the referenced stuff should give a good idea)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Please take the
!
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena, and probably going back to Aiken..)
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:44 AM

Post imported post

sorry, I was a touch confused from the sketches which is why I asked about pics. I just thought I'd get a better idea of which I should do from both image methods. thank you as always sandiegobrass, i've been using your knowledge to gain 10-fold of what I knew before.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

Hi SDB, thanks for your very thorough and excellent repair of the Timing Belt Tensioner. When I get around to doing them on my GL1500 in the next month or so and if they need to be replaced, I'll take photographs and submit them to one of the moderators to tag on if you don't mind. I think the 10mm Stud version will work for me.

I'm just going to check out the price differences here in Canada for comparison.

Thanks again Colm

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page