LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I was one of the last to buy a conversion kit from Cycle nonvention. I tryed for a few weeks with their tech-supportbefore they dis-connected their phone and stopped answering their e-mails. I worked with it for 3 months last summer along with Holley Carburetor tech support. It runs ok on the highway, and starts immediatly! I just wish I could get the idle to work right. My mechanic friends suspect I may have recieved a faulty carb from Cycle Inv.... .

I did find out the carburetor was designed for 1960's Ford Falcon and Mustang. The minimum of 140 cubic inches. Well my little ASPENCADEdoes her best to breath right. When you sit at a traffic light for a short time the idle starts to load up. I have thought of trying to find a Carburetor for a smaller application.

Any Ideas,or experience with this??

pj_oldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: 2006 GL1800
Post imported post

Check out these guys, they have a lot of info on this subject.

http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrill
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks for the Wing site. I will try it out thi week end.

Pj
pj_oldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I checked this out before on the BackYard site. Lots of people using the CI carb but it always seems that guys have to compromise and fiddle with it to get the best from it. Rarely seems to be plug & play after spending all that money.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Brian

Some of those guys have fabbed thier own manifold and carb outfits.I heard all the stories too and felt the stock set up works for me. Probally why CI pulled the plug. I have not heard anyone say their CI work better than stock, but they bring big bucks on ebay tho. Good luck

Bill
75 GL1000 #85
wveith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Now thats way better than stock carbs! Im ready to tear the efi out of my wife's chevy metro but she would tear out some of my parts......
75 GL1000 #85
wveith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Campbell Send a message via AIM to Dave Campbell Send a message via MSN to Dave Campbell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Campbell
Post imported post

pj_oldwing wrote:
Quote:

I did find out the carburetor was designed for 1960's Ford Falcon and Mustang. The minimum of 140 cubic inches. Well my little ASPENCADEdoes her best to breath right. When you sit at a traffic light for a short time the idle starts to load up. I have thought of trying to find a Carburetor for a smaller application.

Any Ideas,or experience with this??

Experience with fuel system design, yes. It makes no difference what the size of the original engine is. 140 CID = 2295 cm^3 but that is meaningless. Carburetors have no way of knowing what size engine theyre on, they. Fuel metering is controlled by air flow, not cubic inches.

That carb could care less whether its on a 1200 cm^3 engine wide open or a 2295 cm^3 engine half shut down. It spits out fuel based on airflow and nothing else.

Yes, put a single motorcycle carb on a large V-8 and its not gonna work, because the engines airflow is much more than the carb can supply, but the opposite is not necessarily true. Put a small carb on a large engine and the AFR goes rich. Vice versa, it goes lean.

What was done to properly design the intake manifold? This sort of thing (half baked motorcycle concept) usually goes something like "manifold volume too large and too cold so the fuel distribution is poor. That will kill idle quality faster than anything.

I put a Holley racing carb on a 1200 (List 4779 square bore racing carb) and "they" said "it wont work, its way too big for the engine".Proves "they" havent a clue what theyre talking about as the 4779 has slightly smaller bores than the throats of the Honda carbs plus there are distribution problems that the single carbs dont have to deal with.

I wish"they" would leave the old wives tales to the old wives!

Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

The problem with using a carb that is too large for the engine is that it causes low throttle opening problems. Translated, that means if the carb is too big a slight amount of throttle opening will give a big increase in acceleration, rather than a smooth transition you would get with a properly sized carb.

For all out racing you can never have too much carb if you can make the engine flow and burn all the air and fuel that it receives, but, that takes big camshafts, valves and high RPM along with exhaust extraction or supercharging.

For street use, properly sized caburation is very important for driveability and fuel economy. One of the guys at: http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltG.../messages.msnw

is experimenting with single carb manifolds and has come up with one that dramatically improves low and mid range performance on the GL1100 dramatically. He is also working on a dual carb setup that has crossover runners from one side of the bike to the other. The long, small diameter,runners speed up air flow and help fuel air mixing and with a coolant heating system under the plenums it should be a real tire burner for bottom end torque.

If you havean interest in the DIY performance/customization of Gold Wings you would do well to check out that site.

Vic

Old 02-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Other side of the pond

Goldwing Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Post imported post

I'd be interested to see where the EFI topic leads. Sure would be nice if EFI could be adapted to the GL1500 as well.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

That would be the next logical step englishted, but, one thing at a time for now.

We'll keep you posted.

Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum