1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

[align=left] “I just had that in my hand a couple minutes ago”. The older I get the more often I seem to say that. If you're like me some days it seems like you spend all of your time looking for things you just had in your hands. That's why I think it's important to spend a little bit time getting organized before undertaking a major project like this one.

The first and absolutely most essential thing that you will need is a factory shop manual. The aftermarket ones are okay but the factory shop manual is really the only way to go. There are a couple of sources for them, eBay for one, then there's craigslist as well as some Internet sites that will sell you a digital copy. Or maybe you know someone who used to have a Goldwing and doesn't need his old manual anymore..

The next thing that I think is extremely important is to keep the build diary. Just a three-ring notebook so you can keep the pictures that you're going to take with your digital camera before you take things apart. You should also keep list of the part numbers and descriptions of things you need to replace. Lists of part numbers for nonstock things that you installed on the bike. As well as notes about anything else you think is important, including copies of any state regulations that you might bump up against if your state requires you to have the bike inspected.

The next thing to round up is some storage containers. The big rubber tubs are great for storing big parts. I also buy some plastic" dishpans" that the dollar store sells for a buck apiece. Not only are they good for storing stuff, they make great drain pans for oil and antifreeze. You can also use them to clean parts in. Throw away Tupperware style containers are very handy as well.

I like to keep an assortment of ziplock freezer bags around. These are great for keeping small parts and fasteners with the parts they belong to. I keep a paper punch handy so that I can punch a hole in the corner of the bag and then use a rubber band to attach the bag full of bolts to the part.

Lastly a fist full of paper tags with strings or wires can be used to identify parts as well as identifying the connectors on the wiring harness so you know which things get plugged into where.

Lastly we should talk about budgets. It's a good idea to have a rough idea of how much the project is going to cost. Double that and you should be about right. To keep the project moving along, it's important to plan your spending. For instance unless you find a really good deal, there's no point in buying new tires until the project is nearly ready for the street. Some people believing keeping a ledger of every penny they spend, others prefer not to leave any evidence for the divorce lawyer. I'll leave that call up you.

Tomorrow will get the old girl up on the left and get our hands dirty.

Stay tuned

Steve

[/align]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Garage
Post imported post

i totally agree with ya pilot

my grand dad and my step dad inspired me to be what i am today a very good mechanic

now my grand dad barley ever bought anything brand new out of the box he could always improve on the concept or design he built everything from scratch he wasnt so much a mechanic but he was a great carpenter

my step dad and i had a account with a rich banker when i was 10yrs old to restore 100 john deere D's boy duct tape and bailing wire is a necessity there i tell ya what

i have boxes of old copies of popular mechaics magazines i always pick up a few copies at swap meets you never know what your going to find in them so those are very handy things to have. The newer copies dont have the ingenuity as the old copies do in my opinion but never the less always opens your mind a bit.

great idea on the bike best of luck may as well throw a supercharger on it while your at it lol.

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #23 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Garage
Post imported post

for parts bins someone posted on the fourm once to use egg cartons for smaller bolts and take a sharpie and mark on them ive used this at work and home and i is a handy cheap storage bin espcially for smaller screws nuts and bolts

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #24 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

peterbilt wrote:
Quote:
great idea on the bike best of luck may as well throw a supercharger on it while your at it lol.
I would love to I've looked into a couple but I just don't have the budget.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Post imported post

Steve, waiting with great anticipation. BTW my daugther lives in Eau Claire, which is not far from you. If I ever make it back up to cold country, I will try to look you up.

Bryce
85 & 86 GL1200 Interstates
post #26 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Garage
Post imported post

i saw somethin on you tube on a guy who put a blower on a wing looks like it could cost alot

post #27 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I got the young lady up on the lift today. There were not too many surprises, I hadn't noticed the handlebar setbacks before,(I think they're headed for eBay) and I hadn't noticed how badly they had butchered the back fender installing the Yosemite Sam mudflap. But all in all pretty much what I was expecting.

The first step was to get the seat, the saddlebags, sissy bar and tour trunk off. After that what was left of the headers came off. Finally the fairing was removed, now we have a much better look at what we have to work with.

After removing the rear wheel, I lifted the back of the bike up and put this 9 inch cube of two by fours under the engine case. Now the bike will balance on the two by fours.

I can't over emphasize how important it is to keep the bike strapped down all the time. It's scary to think what it would be like to have one of these beasts fall off the lift.

Next of front wheel and forks were taken off. The last thing to come off for today was the false tank. Notice the tags on the wiring harness, this is always been a huge timesaver for me.

That's about it for today, I have about five hours into this project so far and I'm about halfway through the disassembly phase.

More tomorrow

Steve

post #28 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Post imported post

Will we be able to recognize her as a goldwing when you're done?

Nice looking workshop by the way Steve.
post #29 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

JackfromCT wrote:
Quote:
Will we be able to recognize her as a goldwing when you're done?
Oh yeah it's not going to be anything radical. Just the 1200 engine and maybe a Vetter series IV fairing.

Steve

post #30 of 604 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Post imported post

This is going to begreat. I am going to follow along with great interest !Thanks for posting this.

1982 GL1100
1980 Honda CM400
1979 Yamaha XS750 Special ( project)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page