1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2010 GL1800 ABS
Post imported post

Update

So far so good.
The bike is running fine. It has the '88 hesitation off-idle that I need to fix, but riding it around it's running well and has plenty of power plus a smooth idle.

I have not checked the fuel pressure with a gauge, but the fact that it's running well tells me the pump is working as it should.

My 5th Wing
\'83 GL1100
\'88 GL1500
\'02 GL1800
\'88 GL1500
And now a 2010 GL1800 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

PM'd ttiger and followed up with his thoughts on installing the NAPA P72190 fuel pump.

Everything pretty much fell into place without me loosing any screws or cutting my fingers.

Here is a pictorial view of how I put it together.

You will note in the last few photos that I used a piece of 5/16" fuel line (same used for the pump's outlet port) to extend that larger 'S' curved return line to the bottom of the fuel tank and below the assembly frame.

Honda's design ported that line directly inside the fuel strainer. I think that was dumb dumb. Any bubbles generated in that process would cause the OEM fuel pump to cavitate and pushing air into the carbs, not fuel....

Oh well, here is my way and my highway for the conversion. Results? Bike runs very smooth now without acting like it is out of gas.

My opinion is this is the single best and easiest method there is to replace the Honda OEM fuel pump. My total out of pocket cost was $78.00 with tax included.

Buttoned everything up, left the fuel hose off of the outlet port and turned the switch key ON.
Nothing!!!! Oh uh? What did I do wrong now?
Hit the Starter Button and fuel sprayed all over the place….

Hmmmmm….. it works!!!

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Looks great!

One of the cool things about the Napa pump is the power wires that come with it are the exact length for the Wing. I just removed the screw holding the OE wire and replaced it with the wire that came with the pump. No cutting or splicing required. I did wrap them in the same plastic spiral that was on the OE wire.

My 5th Wing
\'83 GL1100
\'88 GL1500
\'02 GL1800
\'88 GL1500

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Saddle Time
Post imported post

Great Info ttiger, I worked at a Auto Parts for quite a few years, always helping bikers like myself with issues like this. Thanks for sharing!!

Harry
"NOT BRAND LOYAL, JUST TWO WHEEL LOYAL"

Ret Army, Inf. PM HATM#879 Acgl
Rolling Thunder "All Gave Some Some Gave All"
Gone, but not forgotton
78&79 Wings 94 Aspy(Current 93 Aspy)
Street Glide & Dyna. Buell
Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, other Hondas
Triumph,BSA,Bultaco
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM

Post imported post

I have a 1988 Goldwing and have a fuel problem with it that I can't seem to resolve.

After filling up my gas tank, I rode down the road about a mile and it just died on me.

I could get it started, but as soon as I would give it some throttle, it would shut off.

I got it home by letting it idle. I thought it might be bad gas and I pumped all the gas. I went to a different gas station and bought about 2 gallons and put that in, but it still wouldn't start. I took off the fuel line at the filter and turned on the ignition and got no fuel. I checked my shop manual and did the test it said to do. I thought I got it down to a bad fuel pump relay. I installed the new relay, but still nothing.

Sincerely,

Steve
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

When you turn the key on, you'll only get a second or two of fuel pump. When you hit the starter, do you get fuel?

The bank angle sensor can also cause a no start.

Is the fuel filter clean?

My 5th Wing
\'83 GL1100
\'88 GL1500
\'02 GL1800
\'88 GL1500
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 AM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Post imported post

Does anyone know what this pump puts out for psi.?

JD

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair feel free to PM
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Post imported post

I for one am not impressed when a poster advocates non OEM parts without data.

Somebody did not do their homework or else it would have been posted.

Sorry.

JD

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair feel free to PM
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Garage
Post imported post

DriverRider wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know what this pump puts out for psi.?

JD
okay fellers, it is not all that bad.

The pump that I installed puts out 2.5 psi as measured by a new pressure gauge that I purchased specifically to find out "how much".

The fuel pump that I bought did not have wires with it.
It did have binding posts with a lock washer, nut, and two high quality nylon insulated crimp terminals. I stripped the wire back far enough to double the wire on itself and then crimped it down hard. Got a nice "gas tight" crimp like it should be. Tug test showed it to be very firm.

I did have one "uh oh". When I did the install the first time I noted that the fuel line had to make a 90 degree curve to attach to the fuel pump. I thought at the time "this isn't going to work, it will collapse".

Well, it was 104* and I was in a hurry to get the "job done". Why is it there is always enough time to do the job again, but never enough to do it right the first time?

The fuel line collapsed the next day, and I had "plenty of time" to do it right by inserting a brass 90* elbow. Works great now.

Not shown in this picture are the black ty-wraps used to secure the wiring around the frame.

Also not shown in this picture is the return line. Left that out on purpose for the picture because it is huge and obstructs the view of everything else.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Garage
Post imported post

ttiger wrote:
Quote:
When you turn the key on, you'll only get a second or two of fuel pump. When you hit the starter, do you get fuel?

The bank angle sensor can also cause a no start.

Is the fuel filter clean?
One note here. I also thought 2 seconds or so on "key on".

On my 98SE that is not so. There is NO voltage applied to the fuel pump at all when the key is switched to ON. A voltmeter verified that, plus I left the fuel line off the outlet to verify no fuel flow. NO fuel to free air at all.

Connected the fuel gauge's fuel line and a touch of the starter button turned the fuel pump on and I was rewarded with a quick splash of fuel and the pressure gauge jumped up to 2.5 psi.

So, on initial starting of the 1500s, if it has been sitting long enough for the fuel to evaporate out of the carbs, it is going to be an extended start up cranking session.

I got to experience that as the bike had died from fuel starvation when the fuel line collapsed. I put the mixture control on full rich and cranked it over. Took about 4 or 5 seconds to start the engine. That's not too bad for a dry carb to running engine.

This NAPA pump does a lot better in that regard compared to the OEM fuel pump after a long layup. The OEM pump would not pump up enough to start the engine until I had quit and rested the battery about 2 or 3 times. I suspect that OEM pump was running very slow. The impeller must have been dragging some?

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page