post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

packard1 wrote:
Quote:
I have a 1988 Goldwing and have a fuel problem with it that I can't seem to resolve.

After filling up my gas tank, I rode down the road about a mile and it just died on me.

I could get it started, but as soon as I would give it some throttle, it would shut off.

I got it home by letting it idle. I thought it might be bad gas and I pumped all the gas. I went to a different gas station and bought about 2 gallons and put that in, but it still wouldn't start. I took off the fuel line at the filter and turned on the ignition and got no fuel. I checked my shop manual and did the test it said to do. I thought I got it down to a bad fuel pump relay. I installed the new relay, but still nothing.

Sincerely,

Steve
What you just described is exactly what the OEM pump was doing on my bike.

I had been riding along in 104*F weather, stopped for a moment or 5. Got back on the bike and headed for home. 1 mile later, it acted like "vapor lock" and the bike kept going slower and slower. I nursed it along for maybe a mile at 1500 rpm. Then it just quit.

Got off the bike, did a quick voltage check of the battery (12.7 volts) and then while engine cranking (10.8 volts).

Maybe 10 minutes at most the bike was stopped. Pulled the headlight and light fuses to reduce the load "just in case". Hit the starter and it lit off.

Nursed it to the house about 10 miles away and proceeded to change out the fuel pump. What you see posted above here fixed the problem for me.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:

Connected the fuel gauge's fuel line and a touch of the starter button turned the fuel pump on and I was rewarded with a quick splash of fuel and the pressure gauge jumped up to 2.5 psi.
That is good and should work just fine. When doing swap overs all parameters should be known and taken into consideration.

JD

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair feel free to PM
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Always a fun job - The pumps for the Carb'd '88 Honda Prelude have always been viable replacements for the GL1500's in-tank units (IIRE the OEM flow is <20gph with max pressures of 4psi which is low enough for the GL's float-valves to stop up.

I don't think that I've run across any of the aftermarket pumps for the Prelude application that I would not trust in the 1500's tank, though I've gotta admit that this install of the NAPA part does seem near-OEM.

I've always wondered if the Honda fuel system guys didn't just grab from the automotive side anyway - lower cost of production and even the tank plate seal works in both applications...

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2010 GL1800 ABS
Post imported post

From a cost perspective, they would use whatever they can borrow from the parts bin.

GM has been doing it for years

My 5th Wing
\'83 GL1100
\'88 GL1500
\'02 GL1800
\'88 GL1500
And now a 2010 GL1800 ABS
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Post imported post

I have a 1996 GL1500 and just went through putting on new fuel pump from the scenerio of the honda prelude.. The bike had been sitting for about 6 years and the fuel pump was rusted from the old fuel. Didn't bother to soak and clean old one just to have it be to weak after all that. Now that I have the fuel pump on it, it does start but now I have fuel coming from all kind of tubes under the bike. Does anyone know if the pump needs to be adjusted or anything or if I have some other problem? I have not put the breather back on yet, but I don't recall unhooking any fuel lines when I took it off. There are 2 small line under bike close to brake peddle fuel is pouring out of one of them, and also in the front under the radiator area. It is definitely pumping fuel now, but just to much... Any help would be great.

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

Sounds like you may have other problems with the leak.

Start a new thread for your bike with details.

Fuel pumps normally do not have any settings, just install and done.
Leaks could be bad hoses, stuck floats, other things.

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Yeah -- hopefuly, we'll see that thread from tempbear sometime soon...

and I'm also hopeful that the part's folks he worked with got him the 88 Prelude pump for the Carb'd engine (not the EFI one that would over-pressure the float valves as he's describing)
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I just used this thread to replace my fuel pump and it went smooth. Thanks for the info....

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!
97 Aspencade - Pearl White
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Post imported post

Just replaced mine with the NAPA unit...smooth and creamy....until I filled the tank..fuel is just pouring out of the fuel pump cover...took it loose the gasket looks great, bolted everything back together, put it on the side stand and its leaking. On my way back to use some make makagasket to see if it'll stop. Any other thoughts??

Gary Gay
PGR, IBA, WOTI, GWRRA, ISOK, KCBS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get, the better I used to be.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

The gasket likes to fold over when you put it back in.

Just make triple sure that it is properly positioned. Mine felt like it is brittle so I ordered a new one.

Also be sure the pump is positioned as far forward as you can get it. If it sticks back out further than the mounting frame it will strike the bottom of the tank and the flange will not bolt down flat.

If the flange will sit down on the tank w/o you having to push down on it, you have enough room.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page