3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
GL1500 "30-amp" Fuse

First, Moderators if this post is out of place or not beneficial feel FREE to delete it.

I have read a lot regarding starting issues. Sometimes it helps to know the voltage flow for various circuits.

GL1500 Main Fuse A (30-Amp) (1993 - 2000)

1. It is located at the starter relay A and gets voltage directly from the positive battery
terminal.

2. Provides voltage (red wire) to the #13 “5-amp” back-up (memory) fuse located in the
relay box.

3. Provides voltage (red wire) to the ignition switch.

4. The ignition switch provides voltage (black wire) to the # 11 ignition/cruise (15-amp)
fuse.

5. The # 11 ignition/cruise (15-amp) fuse provides voltage (white wire) to the # 6
ignition/cruise relay.

6. The # 6 ignition/cruise relay provides voltage (black/light green wire) to the
engine shut-off (kill) and starter/reverse switches.

Special Note: The Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) provides the ground to activate the # 6
ignition/cruise relay.

If you have input voltage but no output voltage from the # 6
ignition/cruise relay (and the relay and contacts are good), the Bank
Angle Sensor (BAS) is bad.

The BAS can be bypassed (for testing only) by jumping across the
red/white and green wires.

7. The engine shut-off (kill) switch provides voltage (black/white wire) to the ignition
coils and ECM.

8. The starter/reverse switch provides voltage (yellow/red wire) to trigger the coil in the
starter relay switch A.

9. The starter relay switch A provides voltage to two locations:

a. The starter relay switch B coil (to trigger/close the relay).

Note: This is a Black wire, it goes through a splice and becomes a Red wire,
then goes through a C312 connector (6-pin white under the seat) to a 5-
amp “in-line fuse B” located to the left of the battery in a black boot.
Then becomes a Yellow/Red wire and connects to the starter relay
switch B (to trigger/close the relay).

b. The starter relay switch B (main input). This is a large (battery type) cable.
10. The starter relay switch B (once activated) provides voltage to the starter motor.

The C-312 connector (6-pin white under the seat) has the following six (6) wires:

1. Red (Connects to the 5-amp in-line fuse)
2. Orange
3. Gray
4. Yellow
5. White
6. White/Blue

Note: If the “Red” wire has voltage with the ignition switch on and the starter switch
pressed, the “starter relay switch A” is good.

I would check the 5-amp in-line fuse next (before checking the starter relay switch
B and starter motor).
redwing52 and Bellboy40 like this.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 09-25-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: per request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Thank you for sharing.
This is good information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
Good job researching all this and well written also.
Thanks David.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1500
DBohrer:
Thanks for the excellent information. Sorry to barge in, but you sound like you know the electrical system like the back of your hand.

My '89 GL1500 has an odd starting issue. I believe it is electrical. I turn on the ignition switch and press the starter button. The engine cranks over nicely, but it doesn't fire up until I release the starter button. Therefore if I crank it for 2 seconds, then release the button it starts. OR if I let it crank for 5 seconds or even longer, it only fires when I release the button. Not always, but usually.

My theory is that there is insufficient voltage getting to the coils while the starter motor is cranking. Then when the cranking stops, boom it fires up. Is there some circuit or relay that is failing to supply voltage to the coils?

I did a ride a while back; stopped and shut the ignition switch off; accidentally hit the kill switch when removing my hands from the handlebars, without realizing it. When I came back later, ready to ride, I cranked the bike until the battery was run down. Then discovered the damn switch being off. Arrrrrghhhh!!!! Push started the bike, and it fired off immediately, even with the battery very low. Does this have anything to do with the above delimma. I was surprised at how quickly the bike started. Of course the starter motor was not being used.

Any ideas? Thank you so much.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1989 Honda Goldwing GL1500
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
2008 YamahaFZ1
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
WAB; that is classic weak battery syndrome.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Bill,

Dennis is giving it to you straight.
The single best thing you can do for any 1500 is to install an AGM battery.
Once you do that, it will fire off while it is spinning over..

Wet cells, once they have been used a bit, loose a lot of capacity, and when they do, they can spin the starter nicely, but cannot hold up the terminal voltage high enough for the ignition to spark the plugs.... ergo, it won't start until you release the button, that allows the Wet Cell battery to "recover terminal voltage" and bingo! it starts.

~ John

Join us for NASR10 "
SR10 "

Summer Rally #10 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:50 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAB_BMW View Post

My '89 GL1500 has an odd starting issue. I believe it is electrical. I turn on the ignition switch and press the starter button. The engine cranks over nicely, but it doesn't fire up until I release the starter button. Therefore if I crank it for 2 seconds, then release the button it starts. OR if I let it crank for 5 seconds or even longer, it only fires when I release the button. Not always, but usually.

My theory is that there is insufficient voltage getting to the coils while the starter motor is cranking. Then when the cranking stops, boom it fires up. Is there some circuit or relay that is failing to supply voltage to the coils?

Does this have anything to do with the above delimma.
Here is what I have done for this dilemma.

GL1500 starts after releasing button solved
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Thanks to all for your contributions and information. With this, I should be able to isolate and overcome the problem. Good point about the battery. It does crank well, but maybe I don't know what to expect. I now have a much better understanding of which components do what. Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
2008 YamahaFZ1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 PM

Still haven't made any modifications or voltage drop tests, but did a ride the other day. Instead of cranking until the engine fires up, I would just bump the starter switch for a fraction of a second, and then release the starter button. THE ENGINE FIRED OFF EVERY TIME !

All I can figure - is that the voltage runs through so many switches; relays; connectors; and length of wire; etc., that the voltage drops if any one of these units are not operating perfectly.

More troubleshooting to follow as I get some time. Thanks for all the research and information that members have provided.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
2008 YamahaFZ1
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:07 PM

Red face

OK so I did the modification suggested by Erdeniz Umman, by adding a relay into the black and white wire that goes to the ignition unit / ignition coils.

The motorcycle now starts immediately, while the starter button is being pressed. As I said in an earlier post - there are so many devices that open the circuit if anything is amiss - such as the side stand down and the bike in gear - that if any component is not perfect, then the voltage was too low to make the coils provide spark. Also just the length of wire used to go to all the various devices - is enough to lower the voltage a lot. Plus, the wiring is quite small as well.

This was an easy, and excellent modification. Great idea. Thanks.
Erdeniz Umman likes this.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 Kawasaki KZ750
2008 YamahaFZ1

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Reference and FAQ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page