Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Media Albums Showcase items About

• · Registered
    5 Posts
    Hi. I'm Tone de Murcia - SPAIN-. I have a problem with my rear air cushion of my Goldwing 1500. How is it possible to disassemble to change the inner seals? Thank you

· Registered
    67 Posts
    Hi Stan,

A member on the forum, Larry who goes by bellboy40, recommended you..
    Ive been having some troubles with my goldwing, first it was electrical which has been taken care of, and now its fuel.

I saw you were relatively close to me (Boulder) and would greatly appreciate it if you could put another pair of eyes and ears to it.

I swapped an 84 gl1200 engine into an 1100 frame, and iim very close to having it finished, but am basically having to go about it by myself.

Thanks,
    Art

· Registered
    4 Posts
    Satan, its Rosie. Ive read your threads and they have helped alot. You know your wings. Hey my 93 is not an se its an Interstate.

· Anti-Guru
    2,711 Posts
    If you have the Honda Factory shocks, I begin at about 37psi (255kPa) for experimenting with the ride (do not exceed 325kPa on Honda shocks)

If you have Progressive Suspension (manufacturer) shocks, you can go up to 690-kPa; nice place to begin could be about 320-kPa

Please be safe and enjoy your bike!

(sorry about the two messages - the forum has a length limit)

- Stan

· Anti-Guru
    2,711 Posts
    That would all depend on what shocks you have... The "most correct" way to set your shock would be to place the bike on the centerstand (allows the rear to hang free) -- then measure the distance from the bottom of the brake rotor to the frame under the saddle bag (the height value).

Next remove the bike from the center stand and let all the air out of the system (0-kPa). With you (or a friend) sitting on the bike measure that same rear height measurment (rotor bottom to saddlebag frame) while you add air to the rear shock. Use the air to adjust the height to be 2.75" (~7cm) lower than the measurement made while on the center stand.

Make note of the pressure needed for this height with the bike loaded (you on the seat); that is a good place to begin experimenting.

This 7cm value is ~ 30% of the suspension travel, so there will be 60% more travel in compression to provide a nice ride. This approach can be done for any manufacture of shock.

· Registered
    0 Posts
    Hi there can i ask you a question I just bought a 1996 SE and the rear shocks on dash is in kilopascals I weigh 200 lbs what should the reading be for highway riding. The owners manual is not very clear
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…