Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First post. Opinions sought.

960 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
Been lurking here for years. I've gotten much valuable information. Thank you all for your knowledge and generosity.

I have a question that has been vexing me. Thought I'd put it to the experts.

I'm currently riding an '85 Aspencade I'm pretty happy with. I'm short in stature and in my mid-sixties. Thought I'd get something closer to the ground with a lower seat height. Say a '97 or newer 'Wing. So I've been looking pretty seriously. Found 2 bikes of interest.

Bike A: 1998 Aspencade SE 42,000 miles in very good condition. $6,000 canadian, safety certified in Ontario.

Bike B: 2001 ABS model 80,000 miles. Condition good to very good. $7,000 canadian. Also safety certified.

The end of season is almost here. There is going to be a large (150 motorcycle) public auction near my home in mid-October. Should I bide my time? Or grab one of these bikes? If now is the time, which bike (at face value) seems to be the better choice.

Thanks again. Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
for me, presented with the same choice a year ago, I chose the 1800 and mine had 104,000 miles on it and I paid $8000 USA minus a $1000 trade in.

Why? the 1800s have fuel injection, they are more lenient about not being started and run often. They sit a bit lower than the 1500s and have a lower center of gravity for better handling.

The 1500s have a softer road feel, one that I describe as being like an old 1959 Buick Riviera for a plush, soft, cushy ride... they have a bit better leg room for folks with long legs.... but you say you are shorter statured and want easier ground access with your feet. the 1800 is better for that.

I would not wait for the auction, you have no way of knowing what condition any of those 150 bikes are in.... IF you don't mind doing a lot of work for yourself, and maybe taking all of next year to make one of them road worthy, an auction would be okay. but not for me, if I want a good bike I can ride 'right now'...

there is still quite a bit of Smiles left in this summer, even for you guys up north of the border.

As you are well aware, being a long time reader. The miles on the clock are not to be concerned about provided the bikes have been maintained well. A bike that is 15-20 years old with 5k-10k miles per year, is a much better choice than the same bike with only 5,000 miles total on the clock... if it has been ridden regularly, the owner had to have been taking care of it... not so with a barn queen.

#3 ·
The 1800s have more power than the 1500s, and driven sanely can get just as good, and most of the time, better fuel economy...

Mine when driven at speeds less than 2800-3000 RPM can produce 40 mpg.
folks who drive more sedately than I can get 45 mpg with the same model bike.

either of the bikes, if pushed higher than 3000 RPM are going to guzzle the gas.
Mine has at times, slurped it up at 28 mpg figures pushing into a wind at 75-85 mph.

#6 ·
I redid the seat cushion, and narrowed the pan at the front on my 86'. I should have taken pics as to how this is done, but I didn't think of it.
Maybe I need to do a write-up about how I did that to help others.

#7 ·
I buy cars at auctions and you never know what you are going to get and at what price.
I would always suggest dealing with an individual when buying a bike.
That way you can judge just how they rode it, took care of it and usually have some idea about maintenance.
You never know any of these things at an auction.

Personally,if all other things were equal, I would go with the 1500 especially with less miles and better condition.
I may be a little bias because that's what I ride, but have heard others that have done the 1500 to 1800 upgrade have sometimes wished that they hadn't.

#8 ·
Thanks all of for your replies.

I've already cut down the seat on my 1200. My inseam is such, that I am on the balls of my feet most of the time. I can almost flat foot if I rotate my pelvis forward (with thick soles) . I never considered altering the pan. The 1800 or 1500 seem to get me about another inch or so closer to the ground.

The points regarding auction buys are good ones.

I think we have bargains in Canada currently because some motorcycle insurance companies have raised their rates substantially recently.

I know 'Wings are reliable and durable. Sounds like repair cost risks exist with higher and lower mileage bikes. Is there a big difference in reliability between the 15s and 18s?

#9 ·
Hallo snickers

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

#11 ·
Okay, this is what I wound up with.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=248921&thumb=1

It's a 2005 with 103,000 kilometers (62,000 miles) in excellent shape, loaded (CB, ABS, Chrome Fog Lights, rear speakers, voltmeter, floorboards, heel toe, highway pegs, Tulsa tall windscreen, loads of gear, headsets and wires), safety certified. Never thought I'd like yellow. When I saw it, I fell in love.

It was really hard to decide between the 15 and 1800. Hope I made the right choice. It really makes me smile. Feels like I'm on a circus wagon.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

#14 ·
Welcome and congrats on your new 1800.

I have had both. I prefer the 1800 despite the smaller real estate in the cockpit. The fuel injection, the ABS brakes, the handling, the acceleration and the ease of removing the rear rim and the tremendous choices of dark side tires makes it a winner for me.

Also, I will probably get flamed for this, but Everett Power Sports will not service or repair 1500's any more.

Hell, my 1800 out runs my GPS! I get there faster than a laser beam. Oh yea. I am not exaggerating either. :)

#15 ·
Having owned both bikes, if I had to choose again I would opt for the 1800. As John stated above the 1800 is lower to the ground,handles better (my opinion) and is fuel injected. My 1500 did not like to run cold, took a few minutes for her to warm up and run. Now my 1800 I can hit the key and go. You say the 2 bikes you have in mind are safety inspected. Thats a plus in my book. Who knows what you might get from an auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.