6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Midlife Crisis??

After not riding for 15 years, I started thinking about getting another bike.

My wife said "No more projects, if you are going to buy a bike it needs to be one you can take to DMV and get registered immediately".

Started looking at Craig's list. There did not seem to be much in Texas that did not have a price tag outside of what I wanted to spend. Then I started looking at Florida since I had a business trip to Tampa scheduled. Found an 85 Aspy that sounded like a decent deal.

Flew in Tuesday morning and went to look at the bike afterwork. Took the bike for a ride around the block. Decided that the bike was as easy to ride as the CB/CM 360/400 twins I had ridden in the past. Did not notice that the speedometer was not working. Paid for the bike and took the key and the title. Stopped at Walmart on the way back to the hotel and bought a helmet.

Wednesday after work returned my rental car and took an Uber back to the bike, rode back to the hotel (this is where I noticed the speedometer).

Thursday, took it to a local Honda dealer for a condition check (note this was AFTER i bought it). They said unsafe to ride we won't even take it for a test ride but still charged me $100. You need new tires, we have them in stock, $530 please (at least this included installation).

Went to Wings of Gold in Brandon, FL who did not have tires in stock but could get them the next day for $400 installed. So I cashed in some hotel points and spent the night. (Wings of Gold specializes in Goldwings and is a Mom and Pop type shop where they will let you stand in the shop and talk to them as they work on your bike (or someone else's).)

Left the shop with new tires at 2:30 Friday. Made it home to Texas 10 pm Sunday night. Not quite 1100 miles. The only problem was the left cover came loose about 20 miles into the trip) and when I pulled to the side of the road and put the bike on the side stand the bike fell over and broke the right mirror and the windshield.

I managed to find a replacement mirror on e-bay.

After an outrageous quote from my local Honda dealer to rebuild the front forks, I ordered a set of used forks on e-bay. So the bike is starting to turn into a money pit and it was not something I could immediately register.

It was definitely an adventure or perhaps I should say, an experience. Along the lines of the old saying: Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
Peter Goldwing, Screw and oldgoat1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:49 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles

Hopefully things will improve as you become more knowledgeable about the machine. That knowledge can come from this web site.

Have you any mechanical skill? And tools?
oldgoat1 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I probably qualify as a shadetree mechanic, at least when it comes to cars and push lawn mowers. I have a basic set of tools: wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, pliers, torque wrench, breaker bar, hammer; and a few extras: soldering iron, gear puller.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:03 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 285,000 miles
Good. There may be some hope for you...

...and hopefully, for the bike too.

Those battery covers are real spendy. Hopefully you can find the correct color on eBay.

How about a pic or two of the money pit?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Pretty likely you could have rebuilt your forks for the price of shipping the used set from ebay, which you will probably have to rebuild.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
[SIGPIC]
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The battery cover did not come off the bike, it came loose and was flopping against my leg. I put it back on (after picking up the bike). It did the same thing later in the trip so the rubber inserts the plastic fits into probably need to be replaced.

I put a picture taken at the hotel before the trip inspection and then one after I broke the windshield in my garage:

/forums/garage/21746

The local Honda dealer came up with $213.32 in parts to rebuild the forks (including $7.99 each x qty 4 for a blank line item). Using the cheapest prices I have found online (Huntington Beach Honda) the minimum parts cost is $91.24 (plus shipping $25-35) assuming you need qty 4 of drawing item 17. Both the Huntington site and the Honda direct line site have multiple line items for drawing item 17 one saying 4 is required and one saying that 2 are required.

The used forks (which included the Triple Tee) ran $90 ($45 plus $45 shipping). I will probably end up rebuilding the original forks after I get the bike registered. There is something to be said for not having time pressure and not having to worry about parts breaking in the rebuild process.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Scott View Post
There is something to be said for not having time pressure and not having to worry about parts breaking in the rebuild process.
There is also something to be said about not buying a bike that is over 30 years old and expecting it to be tour ready.
Anything that old can turn into a money pit real quick. Knowing the seller is extremely important when entering into such a deal.
oldgoat1 likes this.

1998 - GL1500 w/161,00 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/87,000 miles
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post
There is also something to be said about not buying a bike that is over 30 years old and expecting it to be tour ready.
Anything that old can turn into a money pit real quick. Knowing the seller is extremely important when entering into such a deal.
The owner's grandson was handling the sale. The story was the owner had bought the bike two years earlier to help someone out and now wanted to get his money out of it. The owner was a Harley rider and did not want to keep the Goldwing.

I thought the grandson told me it was being ridden weekly. When I went to look at the bike he said it was more like 2 or 3 times a month.

If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't. I am going to end up spending as much as a ride ready bike would have cost and put in hours of repair time that should be going to house repairs. C'est la vie!?!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:39 PM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
Hallo Wes Scott

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Greetings Wil.

It is beautiful on the road with all the Goldwings.
A Goldwing rider is a happy rider.

See my Albums to see what my nickname means, and see photo's from our holiday in Australia.
Also see my other albums from my motor holidays.

Look in My Garage for photo's from my Goldwing
GL 1500 SE. Two tone green.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE
Model: 94SE 206000 miles
Welcome to the Wing world. Once you have sorted out the maintenance problems you will have a really nice bike . Not that it will be worth a fortune if you sell it but if you keep it it should provide years/miles of service. Its not uncommon for them to run 3ook or miles. Do consider timeing belt replacement and check the the three yellow stator wire plug assy next to the battery. Its recommended to cut the plug assy out and solder the wires together with a heat shrink insulator over the solder area .
oldgoat1 likes this.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 planned

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page