LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL-1500A Aspencade
Talking Hi Everybody !!

I've been a GoldWing owner since 2002 when I bought a 77 GL1000 scrapper for $200 and fixed her up. Been enjoying a 1980 GL1100 (another fixer-upper) since 2005, and now this year I just bought a beautiful '93 Aspencade. I've been reading GoldwingFacts and GoldwingDocs for many years, I even joined GoldwingDocs in 2010 but never posted anything, didn't log in, just kept reading. Two of the greatest sites in the world!

The GL1000 and GL1100 were always easy to work on, and any answer I needed was easy to find on these sites. This New-to-Me GL1500 is far more complex than the older two, and comes a time you need to become active on the sites and ask a question. Or maybe even answer one (I've been reading a lot lately.)

So I just bought the '93 Aspencade in March, only have 1500 miles on her so far, she runs like a Swiss watch but this week the rear tire developed a slow leak. Needs replaced anyway.

Thanks to the good DIY articles I wasn't afraid to tear into the tupperware last night, she's on the center stand, left saddlebag off, wheel disconnected and ready to take to the local dealer for a new tire, except it's held captive in the frame by the new trailer hitch I installed. Rather than remove the hitch, think I'll buy that HF 1500 LB motorcycle lift today when the store opens. She only needs to go up about 6 inches to get the wheel out..... I'm sure I'll be needing the lift more in the future.

PO said that other than the oil which is new, fluids and air filters had not been changed in quite a while, so I'll be doing that as time goes on, timing belts too, so more of the DIY articles to figure out all the tupperware! Might even add some farkles and stuff while the tupperware is off.....

No questions to ask here, I just want to say 'Hi'. It's time for me to become an active member instead of just reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Year: 183 BC
Make: Not telling how much money I make!
Model: Cindy Crawford would be a good one.

From the lovable little fuzzball

Suck it up buttercup! Move out of your mothers basement and get a JOB.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Greetingz D!

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
I too am going to change my back tire. Tire still has good tread, but it's 4+ years old and I am going on a long ride. So I too went to HF and bought the 1500lb lift. Plan on tackling tomorrow.
While I am there I will remove the drive shaft, give it a good checking, grease it and should be good to go.

1977 GS 750
1983 CB 750
1988 GL 1500
1997 GL 1500A current ride
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE
Model: 94SE 206000 miles
Welcome and Hello . Ride often and enjoy the visits.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 planned
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM

Model: '93 GL1500 SE "Blue Angel"
Send a message via Skype™ to gipsy42
Hello:

Mario
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all!

Update on the HF Lift:

Works great, but if the bike is already on center stand, you can't get the lift far enough toward the rear to balance the bike I was already against the center stand. The HF lift was raising the front, but not the back. I couldn't set it back on side stand and move the lift further back because the rear axle was already out. Solution: Lifted bike a couple inches with HF lift in center of bike, Used floor jack to lift rear of bike by the trailer hitch (very little weight there because bike was ALMOST balanced anyway, just a little heavy in the rear) so lifting a little at a time on both I got her up in the air enough to get the wheel out! Happy! Three point lift!

Update on Tire:

Damn! Spent time last night taking lots of plastic and the rear wheel off the GL1500, go in to the local MC dealer today to have them mount and balance a brand-new Dunlop E4, put the wheel back on the bike and get ready to do quick 'round-the-block' road test with all the plastic still off. I let it down from the lift, start engine, roll it off center stand, and notice bike doesn't want to roll backward or forward. Something binding in reinstall of wheel? So I shut off the motor, get off and look at the wheel reinstall. Tire is TOTALLY flat! Guy told me he put 42lbs pressure in the tire when I took it home..... So looks like I gotta take it all apart again, go back to MC dealer and complain.

GRR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Changing rear tire on my old GL1100 I would put it on center stand, and then straddling the bike I'd lean it on center stand over to one side so it was only on one center stand foot, enough so that a helper could shove a piece of 2x6 wood under the lifted center stand foot. Then I'd lean it the same distance the other way, and helper would put two pieces of wood under that foot. Back and forth until the rear of bike was high enough to get the wheel out. (me being a tall guy helps, the seat keeps getting higher with each piece of wood added)

GL1500 a little heavier, I was kinda scared to try that method to lift this bike......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 AM

Year: 1981
Make: GL1100
Model: Standard - under restoration
Once I got the rear wheel off my 1100 STD by taking the bike into the side yard, put a piece of 3/8 plywood under the center stand and digging a hole under the rear tire. Worked great and didn't cost a dime

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > New Members Introduction Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page