Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 gl1500 alternator??

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) 
#1 ·
imported post

I'm trying to find a alternator for my 1988 gl1500. Hard to find. My question is, will any other yr alternator work on my 1500. If so are there any changes that have to be made for them to work.
Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
imported post

I would suggest after you do all necessery tests & If you find that your alt is shot then Take the alt off & take it to a place that rebuilds alts/starters/Generaters & They can rebuild it for you but if you have a-lot of Lights /electricle accs Then I would get the compufire alt /Ken Hemmings !

#3 ·
imported post

Dave549 wrote:
...will any other yr alternator work on my 1500. If so are there any changes that have to be made for them to work...
> All model years are compatible (1988 - 2000).
> No modifications required, between different years.

> Ken Hemming does rebuilds, and also sells rebuilt alternators

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/
KEN HEMING 3701 E. 69TH. AVE. MERRILLVILLE, IN. 46410-3963 219-947-4038 hemi-roid@frontier.com

#5 ·
imported post

Might be as simple as needing new brushes ,rear bearing, and drive rubber bushings while it is apart.

#6 ·
imported post

The 1988 alternator mounting is slightly different than the later years' mounting, which is why you'll not find many listed.

Your '88 alternator mounts using shouldered bolts. The shoulders on these bolts are used to position the alternator allowing the sealing o-ring to be more-equally compressed.

The later year alternators use dowel pins (OEM p/n 94301-10160 et sim, for the curious) in lieu of the shouldered bolts for the same effect.

That kinda explains the "why" you're not seein many listed.

A good work-around is to either have your unit rebuilt (as presented above) or to modify your mounting situation.Simply over-boring the mounting holes on the later model alternators will allow you to retain your '88's OEM mounting bolts. Some folks have also gone with changing to "normal" bolts to mount a later-year alternator onto these first-year bikes.

While, personally, I prefer to re-bore the alternator's holes a bit, choosing to change the bolts will allow you to "share" spare parts with other 1500 riders without road-side modification...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.