Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What front tire for GL1800 Trike?

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  newday777 
#1 ·
imported post

A few years ago, I read on the GWRRA Trike forum that a lot of GW trike owners were putting the Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire on the front of their GL1800 Trikes and many were running it backwards! I understood that wear was about the same either way, but heard good things about it. Now that it is time for me to replace my front tire on my 2004 GL1800 Hannigan Trike, I'd like some thoughts of others that may have insight in this topic. Thanks..

#2 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum DustDevil
Do you have the easy steer fork triple tree on the trike?
I have the Pilot Active rear on my 99. @ 3,000 miles on it so far, no complaints so far. Had a Bridgestone BT45 rear before this. It started cupping @ 10,000 miles, replaced @ 17,500 miles. f course it is not a trike so take it with a grain of salt. I ride them harder than most, lots of scraping the pegs & more in the twisties.

#3 ·
imported post

I also use that on the front of my 1800. It does not wear in the center where a trike would wear it. I grind the center down at some point about 1/2 life to even it up with the sides.

This is one I wore out.

#4 ·
imported post

I checked out the motorcyclesuperstore for the MPA tire today. Cost was $107 for the GL1800 (rear tire). Found out that they would send to "preferred installed", who would then call me to bring the trike in for installation. Turns out it was my local Honda dealer, so I called them. They had the MPA tires in stock, made a deal for tire, mount/balance all for $165, so it happens tomorrow!!!

#7 ·
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Another is the Stone BT45 rear tire mounted reverse rotation.
Is that what you have on your trike? How many miles on it do you have and how is it fairing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.