Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to replace GL1200 Spark Plug wires.

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Silicon Sam 
#1 ·
imported post

How do you change the spark plug wires on a 1985 goldwing aspencade. They are unscrewed, but I cannot get them past the frame and motor.
Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
imported post

I'm not even sure the wires are supposed to be separated from the coils. But if they are, it shouldn't be difficult to get them out once you have the fake tank removed.

#5 ·
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I'm not even sure the wires are supposed to be separated from the coils. But if they are, it shouldn't be difficult to get them out once you have the fake tank removed.
Starting with the 1980 GL1100 the wires detach from both ends. The wires themselves are screwed into the plug caps, and on the coils, the wires just stab into the coils onto a nail point and the outer compression nut holds the wire into the coil.

#10 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum maoman

If you push the cap further onto the wire you can get to the compression ring to slide that off first.
There should be metal tangs into the wire end also that need to be swapped over.
Did you get new 7mm plug wire and new NGK sparkplug caps?

#11 ·
imported post

I did get the wire off. Slide the compression ring off and pulled it out. Looking for the bulk wire now. May get the original, only 16 dollars. Only need the one. Having a hard time getting getting bulk wire. Tried nappa stores here.
Thanks.

#12 ·
imported post

You need 7mm Copper Core wire. That's what came from the factory. In a remote area, you're right, you don't have a whole lot of choices.

The copper core wire is usually sold as racing wire, not something you see on your everyday car these days.

#13 ·
imported post

Wires are actually stranded copper.

16 bucks? Wow, if that's from your local dealer, it's a pretty good price. They want $13 & change from Western, plus shipping to Canada.

Have you considered eBay? I see coil sets on there for pretty cheap and they usually include the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.