Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't get key to work in GL1100 gas lid (cover)

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  bobv 
#1 ·
imported post

Pulled up to gas pump, went to put key into gas cover and couldn't get it in. Saw something sticking out just a little bit. Pushed key a little harder and it went in but it doesn't seem to go in far enough to allow it to turn. Anyone know how to open the cover without the key? I'm under and 1/8 tank of gas and there is still great riding weather out here. I ride and '82 Interstate.

#2 ·
imported post

Should read I'm under "an" 1/8 tank of gas and there is still great riding weather out here. I ride "an" '82 Interstate.

#3 ·
imported post

I think you will have to remove the fake gas tank to get to the fuel cap now. Remove the seat and if I remember correctly, there are two bolts at the back and two more up front. The ones in front can be accessed from under the fairing. You probably have a little piece of plastic that covered the key opening broken off and when you pushed the key in it wedged down in the key slot.

#4 ·
imported post

Was thinking that would be the way it had to be. Was just hoping that someone knew a "magic" trick that would be a little easier, lol.

#6 ·
imported post

I will try that first. Please work.

#7 ·
imported post

I did the paper clip thing and got a very small spring out and don't know if it is a tumbler spring or one that helps cover the keyhole thing. Didn't have time to pull the tank but it is looking more and more like that is what is going to have to happen. Supposed to blow and then maybe snow by Wednesday so might have chance to work on it then. Weekend could be back in the riding temps again. Sure hope so, need to put more miles on her.

#9 ·
imported post

randames22 wrote:
I did the paper clip thing and got a very small spring out and don't know if it is a tumbler spring or one that helps cover the keyhole thing.
Yes I found the spring, the tin door that the spring closes and bits of pot metal.
It took a bit of digging but once all the broken pieces were out the locks worked normally.

#10 ·
imported post

randames22 wrote:
I did the paper clip thing and got a very small spring out and don't know if it is a tumbler spring or one that helps cover the keyhole thing. Didn't have time to pull the tank but it is looking more and more like that is what is going to have to happen. Supposed to blow and then maybe snow by Wednesday so might have chance to work on it then. Weekend could be back in the riding temps again. Sure hope so, need to put more miles on her.
The small spring you pulled out is from the tumbler assy, there is still a small plastic tumbler in there that you have to get out.

Once that is out, the lock will work.

I would suggest to lube the keyhole monthly to avoid binding and losing more tumblers.

Good Luck

:18black:

#12 ·
imported post

I remember when I first found this forum someone had that problem and someone suggested to just pry the door open with something that would not damage the paint. I went out and tried it on my 1100 I had then, with a spatula I think, and it came right open.

#16 ·
I remember when I first found this forum someone had that problem and someone suggested to just pry the door open with something that would not damage the paint. I went out and tried it on my 1100 I had then, with a spatula I think, and it came right open.
That's exactly what I did last year when mine locked up!

You can change locks with the one on the fairing. Right side. Unless you do not have a fairing
Exactly! No amount of working the lock could get it to cooperate so I just switched them. Of course I keep the tank lock lubed now to prevent this in the future.

#13 ·
imported post

Hey that is a great idea Dave. Use one of the teflon coated spatulas to reduce the chance of damaging the paint. Don't let your wife catch you with her spatula though! :ROFL:

#14 ·
You can change locks with the one on the fairing. Right side. Unless you do not have a fairing

#17 ·
i have had little white pieces come loose in a few of my locks, just used a small screwdriver or pick to dig them out.

#18 ·
Okay, so many things to do and tomorrow it is not supposed to snow any and I will get out there and see if I can dig any more crap out of that key hole. I just hope that I don't have to take everything apart to get to it.

#19 ·
The spatula trick seems like it may work, too. I thought of that but couldn't remember which way the locking mechanism pointed. Guess I will try that before I commence to taking the seat off and all that.

#20 ·
Wahoo, got it fixed. The spatula thing I couldn't get to work at all, maybe someone else could but with the shroud around the lock I don't see how that would work. Anyway, fished with a dental instrument to try and get out any "foreign" objects. Must have moved it around enough to get the key all the way down and it turned. Got the lock out and turned it upside down and the plastic piece fell out. Thank goodness, I didn't have to take the seat and the tank off. Replaced with the glove box lock and all is good. Thanks again to all who help with suggestions and, as always, couldn't do a lot of this stuff without everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.