LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

The ABS light will not go out on my GL1800. There is plenty of brake fluid and the bike only has 12000 on the clock so I don't think the pads would be worn out. The brakes are working fine to the best of my knowledge and it stops great. This just started to happen on Friday and after I had been down a particularly muddy road in Rathangan, Kildare. It was one of those roads that I just wished I hadn't ventured onto! The bike was full of mud afterwards and I pressure washed lumps of it off the bottom of the bike.
Any suggestions on what to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Littlejohn
Post imported post

Sorry not being technically minded I can't help with the ABS light problem but having ridden professionally on a daily basis in all weathers for 15 yrs the Golden Rule was never ever put a high power pressure washer near your bike. There are too many seals that can't withstand the full force of a pressure washer. Warm water, a good sponge, soft brush and plenty of elbow grease is the only answer.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

yellowwing wrote:
Quote:
The ABS light will not go out on my GL1800. There is plenty of brake fluid. The brakes are working fine to the best of my knowledge and it stops great. This just started on Friday The bike was full of mud afterwards and I pressure washed lumps of it off the bottom of the bike.
Any suggestions on what to check?
It's best to send an email or p.m. to wingnut orJason, in case they are not on the board, or indeed any of the other experts on the board.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I took your advice Redwing, e-mailed Steve and he mailed me his phone number. I phoned him and he asked me some questions (was the light on before I used the pressure washer, have I got rotor covers fitted etc) and he said to take off the rotor covers (I have the chromed plastic ones) and have a look there first for obstructions or broken wiring. I will look at this tomorow afternoon (half-day off work). I will keep my fingers crossed that it's something simple.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thats good. Will you let us know what the problem was. ?
Old 07-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Found the problem! Took off the rotor covers and the callipers and forks under were all caked with dried muck. I cleaned it all off and found no broken wires and when I rode the bike a few feet the ABS light went out thankfully.
I phoned up Steve and he reckons the mud getting stuck in the grooves in the inner ring part of the brake disk would have stopped the pulses being read by the sensor.
I'm one relieved and happy owner now!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Yellowwing, Thats great you got it sorted. Keep off the mucky back roads and stay on the tarmac. Ride Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum