LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi all,

I've got the 83 with the TRAC anti-dive forks. I am going to drain the fork oil and replace, but all the photos I can find indicate a drain plug that I don't have (located on the outboard of either fork, just above the axle pinch collar assembly).

I'm assuming that the TRAC equipped models have it somewhere else? Can someone point it out to me?

Thanks,

Jack
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: None at present
Post imported post

The drain plug should be just aft of the TRAC adjustment screw on the backside of the fork.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
The drain plug should be just aft of the TRAC adjustment screw on the backside of the fork.

Thanks exavid! I just didn't want to go about blindly removing bolts waiting for one to leak oil out.

Jack
Old 01-29-2005, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Jack, the oil takes ages to drain this way, but it is very handy. If you remove the fork air hoses first, the fluid will drain much faster. Faster still if you remove the actual fork caps (put a jack under the engine first so the front end won't dive too low). The get some new fluid and let it run right through the forks to clean out and bits of crud before finally filling.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Jason wrote:
Quote:
Jack, the oil takes ages to drain this way, but it is very handy. If you remove the fork air hoses first, the fluid will drain much faster. Faster still if you remove the actual fork caps (put a jack under the engine first so the front end won't dive too low). The get some new fluid and let it run right through the forks to clean out and bits of crud before finally filling.

Hi Jason,

When you say "fork caps", do you mean the metal parts into which the air fittings are fixed? How do I get those out...just a big pair of pliers? I don't see anything like a hex nut. Also, if I take those off, should I be ready for springs to fly out at me?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 01-29-2005, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Campbell Send a message via AIM to Dave Campbell Send a message via MSN to Dave Campbell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Campbell
Post imported post

Quote:
How do I get those out...just a big pair of pliers? I don't see anything like a hex nut. Also, if I take those off, should I be ready for springs to fly out at me?

Thanks,

Jack
NO pliers -preserve your front teeth!! Theres much force behind those springs. I had the first one I removed chase me across the garage. It won. Lift the front wheel to lower spring force and have helper hold the forks still, or lock the steering if you can.

Ive not torn an 1100 fork down, but if its like the 86, its a very intricate piece of work.

Jasons right about draining, get any crud out, those forks (86 anyway) have precision babbit bearings like a crankshaft and takes little crud to damage them. Might not hurt to do a unit teardown considering its age.
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Jack

I sent you an e-mail with picture showing drain plug.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

jeepster09 wrote:
Quote:
Jack

I sent you an e-mail with picture showing drain plug.

Thanks! I'm glad you told me here...for some reason my junk mail filter sorted you into the 'junk' pile. Good pic. Say, your bike looks to be a custom paint job...any pics you want to share? I'm personally going to paint mine to get rid of the old "Candy Regal Brown".

Jack
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum