LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi, I'm new to the forum and read through many of the questions and replys. You folks are doing a great job and may be able to help me. My 86 Aspencade SEI's Fuel System Warning Light is on and it is really hard to start when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, only takes a few minutes, it runs and starts great. The problem only is present on the first start up in the morning and you have to start it, fiddle with the throttle, restart, fiddle with the throttle, etc, until it finally gets going and then it's fine. Is there a cold start module or some kind of an electrical part that helps the fuel injection when the engine is first started? Once the problem is fixed how do you get the warning light to go out? Thanks for any help, Peter

86 GL1200 SEI
pjfsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Welcome..

There is an artificial enrichment sequence in the on board computer which (if I remember correctly) is activated when the ambient temperature drops to a specified preprogramed level. Outside the computer, there is a control box that then allows the injector control module to squirt more fuel... First I would look for loose connections at all the modules under the false tank including any wiring that may have been added to the bike over the years.. I've seen accessories attatched to just about anything on a bike just to have electricity to feed something. The SEi models were finicky animals if the electronic components were messed with..

Keep us informed on how you cure this one.. There are many other Gurus out there on this site who have some "expertise" with the SEi models and you'll be hearing from them shortly... good luck..
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Welcome pjfsail. Are you familier with how to diagnose your SEi's injection system? There are 5 LED's that display a self diagnostics code. Can you check this code and let us know the results.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to get the light to go off by disconnecting the battery while the ignition key is in the run or on position otherwise you will kill the very expensive ECU.

Once the problem is resolved the LED willreset automatically.

Vic
Old 02-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

See that??!!! You're already getting some serious input... You're on your way...
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

No Vic, I'm not familiar how to check the fuel injection system. I just bought the bike and have never had an SEI before. How can I get the information I need to check the codes? Renegade, you are so right about responses. I will follow your advice and check the connections and will not mess with it until I have sound advice. Thanks so much. Peter

86 GL1200 SEI
Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: 2006 GL1800
Post imported post

Here's what the LEDs on the computer mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED.jpg (97.8 KB, 160 views)
Paul W.
exavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Peter,

You're really going to need the Clymer Manual. You need the "Clymer Honda GL1200 1984-1987" ISBN: 0-89287-543-7 catalog M504.

There is one on eBay right now,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

They are a little cheaper at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

There is a good section on trouble shooting and maintaining the fuel injection system among lots more info. If you can find one, the Honda Electrical Supplemental Manual for the LTD and SEI is worth it's weight in gold. It covers all the different features of the SEI and has a good wiring diagram. There is a diagram in Clymer, but it's not nearly as good. I found one of these Honda manuals on eBay, it's worth spending some effort and cash.
Paul W.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Paul, I'm off to buy a Clymer's manual. In fact, that was my next question, which manual do I buy? As soon as I get it I can begin the diagnostic process. Thanks for the ISBN number, now I can be assured I get the right manual the first time. Where did the information come from about the LED's that you posted, I see it is chapter 7? Is this from the Clymer's manual or another source? I can't thank you enough for your help. Regards, Peter

86 GL1200 SEI
Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

pjfsail wrote:
Quote:
Paul, I'm off to buy a Clymer's manual. In fact, that was my next question, which manual do I buy? As soon as I get it I can begin the diagnostic process. Thanks for the ISBN number, now I can be assured I get the right manual the first time. Where did the information come from about the LED's that you posted, I see it is chapter 7? Is this from the Clymer's manual or another source? I can't thank you enough for your help. Regards, Peter
The scan came from the Clymer's. Search a bit on eBay to try to find a Honda Supplemental manual too. It's loaded with information on troubleshooting the complex electrical system. You don't need anything fancy, a cheap digital VOM will suffice for carrying out the tests in the book.
Paul W.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have a good digital VOM, no problem there. The Clymer is on order and I'll start looking for the supplemental manual. As soon as I have the Clymer's I'll be back to the forum to let you all know what I've found or for more questions. Thanks to all for your input. I shall return. Peter

86 GL1200 SEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum