LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

This thread is very interesting and it applies directly to an 85 Aspencade the I am currently working on for a friend.

Strangest thing I ever felt on a Wing.

From 1800 to 2100 RPM in any gear, I get a definate vibration which almost feels like the engine that is lugging. It only vibrateswhen given lots of throttle between 1800 and 2100 and does not vibrate if I turn the throttle to a slightly loaded cruise position, but, the vibration starts up again on coast, although not as severe as under load.

Before 1800 RPM and after 2100 RPM it's perfectly smooth and pulls hard. The engine starts and runs fine. Will rev freely to to redline without missing and cruises just fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to look for without pulling the engine to look around?

I'm to the point where I believe that it is the alternator driveshaft causing the problem because when I place my ear very close to the lower left rear side of the engine I hear the noise most prominently.

Vic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:
This thread is very interesting and it applies directly to an 85 Aspencade the I am currently working on for a friend.

Strangest thing I ever felt on a Wing.

From 1800 to 2100 RPM in any gear, I get a definate vibration which almost feels like the engine that is lugging. It only vibrates when given lots of throttle between 1800 and 2100 and does not vibrate if I turn the throttle to a slightly loaded cruise position, but, the vibration starts up again on coast, although not as severe as under load.

Before 1800 RPM and after 2100 RPM it's perfectly smooth and pulls hard. The engine starts and runs fine. Will rev freely to to redline without missing and cruises just fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to look for without pulling the engine to look around?

I'm to the point where I believe that it is the alternator driveshaft causing the problem because when I place my ear very close to the lower left rear side of the engine I hear the noise most prominently.

Vic
Hello vic!
What you describes about that 85'aspy is very simular to how my bike behaves. As I've described earlier in this tread my bike also is perfectly smooth in the rest of the rpm-scale. I also hear the noise most prominently at the lower left rear side of the engine. Since you suspect the alternator-shaft, is that a well known problem? Or do you know if the starterclutch (or it's bearing) could be the sinner? As you said, it's a very strange vibration, caused me a few more gray hairs.....
Good luck! Larsernz
larsernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Hi Larsernz, if it was my own bike I'd have the engine out and torn down on the bench for a complete inspection, but, since it belongs to someone else I don't have that luxury.

Apparently the owner of this bike has been driving it with this vibration ever since he bought the bike 3 years ago, so, it doesn't seem as though it's something that falls off immediately, especially since this fellow has put many thousands of miles on his Wing with no problems arising from this vibration.

It's only a guess on my part that it could be the alternator driveshaft bearings and the reason I guess it's that is because the rotor is mounted on the end of it and this could cause a severe vibration because of it's weight if the bearings allow it to go eccentric on its axis. I wanted to try disconnecting the stator and see if the vibration went away, but, this stator is hard wired. If your stator still has the white plug on it, disconnect the stator (3 yellow wires) and take the bike for a ride and see if the vibration subsides at all. It if does go away, then that may verify that it is the alternator driveshaft causing the problem, if not then your guess is as good as mine without looking at the inside of the engine. My next guess would possibly be clutch I think.

Please let me know if and when you get to tryyour bike with the alternator disconnected. Just make sure the stator wires do not touch ground when they are disconnected.

I sure would have liked to diagnose this problem accurately while I had the bike here, but, now I'll have to wait till it finally breaks or gets really bad to find out for sure what the real problem is. I spent 2 hours driving this bike at high speeds today and it ran fine except for that stupid, unrecognizable vibration between 1800 and 2100 RPM. If I downshifted as soon as I felt that vibration you would never know the vibration was even there. It's very strange because I can run my 84 Aspencade down to 1500 RPM in 5th gear and roll the throttle on gently and pull away without ever feeling that same vibration. It's one of those things that will probably keep me up at night until I figure out what the heck the cause of the vibration really is.

If you find anything more let me know and I'll let you know likewise.

Vic

Old 04-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: None at present
Post imported post

I haven't had any vibrations to talk about but my 1500 does have an odd buzz, kinda like tin buzzing when accellerating at low speed, especially if I lug the engine just a little. I'm kind of suspecting the shielding around the exhaust headers but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #35 (permalink)

Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Larsernz, if it was my own bike I'd have the engine out and torn down on the bench for a complete inspection, but, since it belongs to someone else I don't have that luxury.

Apparently the owner of this bike has been driving it with this vibration ever since he bought the bike 3 years ago, so, it doesn't seem as though it's something that falls off immediately, especially since this fellow has put many thousands of miles on his Wing with no problems arising from this vibration.

It's only a guess on my part that it could be the alternator driveshaft bearings and the reason I guess it's that is because the rotor is mounted on the end of it and this could cause a severe vibration because of it's weight if the bearings allow it to go eccentric on its axis. I wanted to try disconnecting the stator and see if the vibration went away, but, this stator is hard wired. If your stator still has the white plug on it, disconnect the stator (3 yellow wires) and take the bike for a ride and see if the vibration subsides at all. It if does go away, then that may verify that it is the alternator driveshaft causing the problem, if not then your guess is as good as mine without looking at the inside of the engine. My next guess would possibly be clutch I think.

Please let me know if and when you get to try your bike with the alternator disconnected. Just make sure the stator wires do not touch ground when they are disconnected.

I sure would have liked to diagnose this problem accurately while I had the bike here, but, now I'll have to wait till it finally breaks or gets really bad to find out for sure what the real problem is. I spent 2 hours driving this bike at high speeds today and it ran fine except for that stupid, unrecognizable vibration between 1800 and 2100 RPM. If I downshifted as soon as I felt that vibration you would never know the vibration was even there. It's very strange because I can run my 84 Aspencade down to 1500 RPM in 5th gear and roll the throttle on gently and pull away without ever feeling that same vibration. It's one of those things that will probably keep me up at night until I figure out what the heck the cause of the vibration really is.

Vic

Hi Vic!
Now I've just tried my bike with the stator disconnected, the vibration still the same... Well, one more thing tested, but it doesn't eliminate the alternator driveshaft I guess. Unfortunely I don't know when or how the vibration in my bike started. My father imported the bike from USA in 1996. Last november he passed away, and he didn't drive it for the last three years. But I do remember him talking about the vibration, so it has been there for a while. I have to pull the engine, but I'm not sure yet when I'll have the time to do it. Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as I find something.

Larsernz
larsernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #36 (permalink)

Post imported post

Because of this annoying vibration in my wing, I did a search and found this thread, so I will reopen it and make some comments. The vibration in my bike started about two weeks ago andwas , to the best of my knowledge, engine RPM related. As I was throttling up thru 2500 to3000 RPM or engine braking down thru the same range, I could feel the vibration in the bars and in my seat. Above and below that range was smooth. Same thing with bike on center stand and tranny in neutral with wheel stationary.

So I read all the above and then started searching.-first the mounts--some were a bit loose but nothing too much. I torqued them up. Then I set my rpm to the vibration range, which seemed to stabilize at about 3000 RPM for the worst vibration, and locked the throttle to that and started to listen around with a big screwdriverto my ear-touching everywhere. When I got to the front right and laid the screwdriver on the engine guard, it near flew from my hand from the vibration. Then I noticed that this bloody chrome air dam, which I had removed and polished about two weeks ago, was really setting up a sympathetic (forced)vibration from the engine and was transferring it to the guard via a bolt end which it was touching. I shut her down and did some judiscious bending and prying in order to get some clearance between the two, and started her up again. To my surprise, 80% of the vibration was gone and nothing could be felt in the bars.

Went for a ride later and it was like a different bike. The whole thing was gone and so was a lot of noise.

That bloody air dam. Is it worth anything or should I just take it off. It is attached to engine hard points, and will vibrate because it is flat steel.

Any comments???

Hawker22
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Hawker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: None at present
Post imported post

Not too sure what part you are referring to as an air dam? Is it an aftermarket part or original?

Ah, that air dam. Thanks Twisty. That looks like an aftermarket item, the original sure wasn't chromed. The air dam on my 86 SEI was a lot smaller. Why not take it off and tape (Oh, Canada!) a stick across the lowers to keep them from flopping around and see what happens? At least it would eliminate another cause.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #38 (permalink)

Post imported post

If my bike was not jammed in beside my truck, I could get you a pic. It is a wedge shaped wing affair that bolts on just below the rad and supposedly directs more air up thru the rad. Comes very close to the front mud guard. Very close. It is chromed of course.

If you took my avitar and blew it up a bit, you may be able to see it.
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Hawker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

Post imported post

Old 09-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:

Please let me know if and when you get to tryyour bike with the alternator disconnected. Just make sure the stator wires do not touch ground when they are disconnected.

Vic

larsernz, just want to let you know that the fellow that owns thisGL1200 with the odd vibration called me to to inform me that he has put over 14,000 kilometers on his bike with no change to the vibration whatsoever. He even towed a trailer behind his Wing through the Rocky Mountains on his way from Vancouver to Central Ontario and has not had any problems at all with the bike since I went over it mechanicallythis spring.

My best guess would be alternator driveshaft, improperly balanced rotoror the clutch causing the vibration problem.

Vic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum