LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi folks,

My 86 GL1200i has developed a very coarse vibration at around 2500 rpm over the past three weeks. It is worse under load both accelerating or engine breaking and doesn't seem related to transmission or running gear (does the same in neutral and with clutch disengaged) any thoughts greatfully received.

Extra info, high milage (206,000miles) runs like a dream except the vibration, starts first time, petrol consumption and performance unchanged, cam belts done last 20,000 ago, no oil burning

Many thanks

Bob
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

It sounds like you've already ruled out the engine and gearbox. If you are gt#etting the vibes in neutral and clutched in, I'd sayyou should be looking at the driveshaft UJ. When that wears you can get terrible vibration.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks Joe,

What I mean't to say was that the vibration occurs with the engine running whilst it is parked up in neutral, comes in as the revs hit 2500rpm, it is worse however with the bike running when the engine is under load, do you think it can still be the drive train?

I was wondering if there are any engine internals which are known to cause this, funny thing is, the vib dissapears once the ol girl gets up to about 3000 rpm and is good as gold after this

regards Bob Saunderson
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2006 ST 1300
Garage
Post imported post

1st off, welcome to the forum. With that many miles on your friend, when was the last time you checked all the engine mounts. Just a thought...

1986 Interstate, 2006 ST 1300
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

!

RedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to philcsand Send a message via Yahoo to philcsand
Post imported post

Check the torque on all engine mounting bolts.My Clymer manual says that is the #1 place for vibes to show up.
1989 Catalina 22 -Sold
2007 Crappy Chinese made 50cc scooter - More fun than it should be.
philcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Campbell Send a message via AIM to Dave Campbell Send a message via MSN to Dave Campbell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Campbell
Post imported post

Throw a timing light on. See if it winks out at the problem speed. Vibes are caused when the crank is out of balance (bearing hanging up or combustion forces not equal) or something in a valvetrain seizing or clutch basket bearings bad. The rest of the system is disconnected through the clutch. That it only shows at 2500 doesnt sound like oiling system, pressure would be less as speed decreases, not as it increases. But with that many miles, an oil pressure test wouldnt hurt. Can do a cheap one by letting it idle then dropping the idle speed slowly and see if the light winks on above 400 RPM.

3 places to listen to the internals 1.) oil fill cap 2.) timing mark access plug 3.) stator drive bolt plug

If you go to wits end without finding it, make a recording and Email it to me, I can try to calculate the vibration frequency and make an educated guess as to where its coming from.
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JOHNO Send a message via MSN to JOHNO
Post imported post

Hi Bob,

something else to check is that one of the coils may be failing pull the plug caps, front cylinders then rear see if it makes a differance to engine note,

I've just had a similar problem with a broken primary wire to a coil. ( Miss fireing under load)
2012 Royal Enfield 500 EFI Bullet (daily ride)
1998 Reliant Robin LX estate (for when it rains)
1992 Reliant Robin saloon (if the other breaks down!)
JOHNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Pull a compression test of all 4 cylinders.. A vibration can be caused by just about anything from a loose wire, fastener, engine mount, weak cylinder, fuel feed, spark plug.. The list goes on and on..

By process of elimination, and suggestions from this board, you'll isolate the problem and be able to fix it..

With the cylinders all up to the correct compression, the engine is basically o.k... Look at the spark plugs,, what color are they? Is one or two a different color than the rest? Did this vibration just happen, or has it been coming on for a while? Secondary ignition systems can break down at certain rpms, causing a misfire in one or two cylinders which would cause a vibration... Keep digging and keep us posted on what you have for specs...

Welcome to the nest.
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks very much folks, what a fantastic forum, you've certainly given me some thoughts to get on with. I imagine I will be spending the next week of evenings in the workshop, and will work through things one at a time.Hopefully I can share some of my thoughts in answer to other peoples annoyances as well

all the best Bob
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum