LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I own a 2nd hand 1988 GL1500. I have been getting very poor mileage (30 MPG). I also am smelling gas vapors after a ride. Since I am new at working on bikes (not afraid to try at least), I decided to check out several ideas. I checked the air filter (clean fairly new), but noticed what appears to be a missing hose. I have a picture (see attached). The missing hose is supposed to go to the Air Vent Control Valve (which also appears to be missing), and there are no loose or hanging hoses in the area. Can anyone tell me if this might be my problem, or whether it is OK to run with out this valve (as it appears that the previous owner thought it was OK). I don't want to put anything back together until I get an update from on of you experienced WINGERS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MISSING HOSE.JPG (59.1 KB, 395 views)

"NEVER RIDE FASTER THAN YOUR ANGEL CAN FLY"
Jrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

That is the fuel return pipe to the tank. I'm surprised that fuel isn't flooding out of this every so often. the vent canister shold be attached here as well. This won't have any effect onfuel mileage (it does explain the smell of petrol), but I would be inclined to get the missing parts asap. Petrol fumes from that area can cause the rider to fall asleep at the switch!
It looks like someone else has been "fixing" the carbs. Might be wise to get them looked at professionally soon.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks Jason, why do you say that someone else has been working on the carbs? Is it because this canister is missing? The funny thing is the bike runs and idles very good, but guess I have a lot to learn. Any feedback would be great.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I should have said Itseems like someone else has been "fixing" the carbs. I'm wondering why the hose and canister were left off (can't see them falling off), perhaps removing them masked another problem.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi JR. Looking at the picture it does seem like someone hasn't been very attentive when assembling. The missing filter lid screws and the missing hose are not what I'd expect from anyone competent. I'm wondering why the gas is not trickling out of the open pipe all the time. Is it possible that is is coming out sometimes and draining out from the drip tray? Run the engine for a while with the console still off and see if any fuel dribbles out of the pipe.

Lucky Eddie.
GWEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

True enough. What I am going to do is replace the AVCV and see what happens. If the bike starts to run bad, it's time for the shop. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks Eddie I will give it a try.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

My 88 isthe same petrol never comes out of it.

mine smells of gas afterI park up.I know that mine is from the tank because if I

take the cap of it has a small amount of pressurei have blowen through

the cap breatherand it's ok but stillbuilds pressure my new car's the same

must havea slow release on the breather.I have heard of pressure problem on other early 1500 wings
Glenn/uk Germany,Poland,Holland,Slovakia,Croatia,Slovenia,A ustria,USA,Hungary,Ireland, chec rep,Estonia,Latvia,Lithuania,Romania on a 1988/1500 115.000 miles and rising/new 1800 start again,Italy,Switzerland,Belgium,France,Nurburgring ,Bosnia ,Montenegro ,Luxembourg ,
glennuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks Glennuk, I also have the same pressure build up when I take the gas cap off. What is your opion of the AVCV being replaced? Did you replace yours? It does not look like the area around the open fitting is wet from fuel, so I just don't know? Have you been able to find anything that would release the tank pressure? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

The tank is supposed to be pressurised on the gL1500. Tells you this in the Honda book and every gl1500 I've seen releases pressure when you open the cap.
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum