Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace1200 final drive With1500 final drive?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  2nd85Wing 
#1 ·
imported post

Can anyone tell me if any of the 1500 final drives will fit an 85 Aspy1200 and what will I need to do to it if anything to make it work? Thanks.

#2 ·
imported post

According to a post by Mr.1200 it's an easy swap:
All the 1200's camewith the sameFinal Drive unit...Even the 1500's have the same Gear Ratio,only the 1500's have beefier bearings,and will fit in a 1200,by drilling out the four drive mounting holes in the 1200 swing arm..

:waving::15red::waving:

#4 ·
imported post

Since the dust shield bolt doesn't have much stress on it seem like you could replace it with a oval or flat head machine screw, just counter sink the hole in the plastic a little bit. That way you'd have maximum clearance.

#6 ·
imported post

Thanks Mr 1200 when you mention the inner spline do you mean the driven flange? Excuse me for being dumb but what does feel free to PM me mean.One final question will my 1200 drive shaft work in the1500 final drive? Thanks

#8 ·
imported post

Here is an excellent article on doing this swap;

http://flpv.com/pete-marge/Rebuild/

Lots of pics and detail, but, you need to use the 1500 rear wheel which is commonly available on Ebay from trike conversion takeoffs. There are several advantages to doing it this way and on a Wing with bags you'd hardly notice the difference between the 1200 and 1500 rear wheel.

Vic

#9 ·
imported post

Excellent info lads. Hey Mr1200, I seeyou've become a Guru, when did that happen? I'm surprised Redwing hasn't been looking for an enquiry into this (althoughhe's hardly worth a guru tag). He probably didn'tfind his glasses yet and might not know you're a guru now.:p

#17 ·
imported post

This link talks about the swap over and also references the same dead link. But, there is enough talk in it to probably get you through the rough spots.

If you tackle this, please take a lot of pictures.

If I remember correctly, there is a little bit of grinding required to make something fit into the 1200. It wasn't much, but that is just memory that is fading on me.

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1226&view=previous

#18 ·
imported post

You need to mill down the brake caliper mount. You will use the drive shaft from the 1200, but you need to order a new seal where the drive shaft goes into the differential. You will also need to get a smaller tire. The one for a 1500 is too tall and too wide. I did use all the 1500 spacers and axle. Everything else is the same.

Good luck.

Jerry Hutchison
Upstate SC

:12red:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.