LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I read a while back about Mr. Fix It's adding a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil additive to his bike's oil after changing it. He said that it seemed to quiet the engine noise. Well, I tried putting 8 oz in my Rotella T synth when I changed it Fridayand by golly, it seems to work. I have had a small amount of the "ticky-ticky" valve train noise since I bought the bike. I honestly believe the bike is now running much more quiet. I also got almost 45 mpg yesterday which may or may not be a result of the additive.

The L.H.D.O.A. states right on the label that it is safe to use with wet clutches. I didn't notice any change in my clutch after 200 miles. Still grabs hold like it use to and under heavy acceleration didn't seem to have any slippage at all.

Just thought I'd offer my report to anyone who's interested.

One other thing: The temps were in the low 90's F. and my Evans coolant seems to not be bothered at all. Guage stayed right in the middle in town or out running 65 mph. (Had to throw in the Evans plug since it's been almost 2 weeks since the last)

Hobie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag
Post imported post

My neutral switch stopped working after i put it in. 10w-40 works great.
Vancouver
--
previously: 76 GL1000, 82 GL1100
73 BMW R60/5; \'80s Suzuki GS400/GS750/GS850T; \'87 BMW K100RS; \'73 Kawasaki Z1
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Heavy Duty Lucas additive just thickens the oil up. I don't really like it except to quieten down old engines or maybe reduce a bit of smoking. I only ever did this with bikes and cars that I was selling, but I wonder how easily the thicker oil will pump with Lucas in it?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Considering that I only used about 7%mixture of Lucas to Rotella T(using 3.5 US quarts of oil to 8 ounces of Lucas), I don't think viscosity will be a problem. I like the lubricity of the Lucas.

Understand that my observations do not mean that I'm endorsing or promoting the use of ANY product to my friends on this or any forum. Just passing along my observations. As with Evans, I have no financial gain in said observations. Users beware and use at your own risk. When in doubt, do without.

hobie

BTW, how much of the additive did you use and how long after you put it in did your neutral switch quit working? I'd like to know for future reference.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Older and Wiser

Goldwing Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

Does synthetic oil even need additives? I thought it wasn't reccomended to do this with modern synths.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...2&loc=show

You can read about the stuff in this link. Like I said, please don't use this stuff if you have any doubt at all. I was just passing along my personal experience to date if anyone was interested.

Regards,

Hobie
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...2&loc=show

You can read about the stuff in this link. Like I said, please don't use this stuff if you have any doubt at all. I was just passing along my personal experience to date if anyone was interested.
Hobie, let us know how that works out for you long term. I see by the Lucas data sheet that oil additive has a 100°C cSt of 110,, 140 weight gear oil is only 41 cSt @ 100°C so that stuff is mighty thick. I would worry about cold start up & oil pump damage.

There spec sheet also says it contains phosphorus (that is usually good for any metal to metal contact at start-up). It also says it has sulfur & that is good for gear oil but quite bad for motor oil as it causes long term bearing etching during lay-ups & storage.

Twisty
Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks for your input Twisty. I have read your other posts on the oil subject and have found them informative.

As I'm using such a small percentage ratio of Lucas to Rotella, I'm of the opinion that the viscosity over-all hasn't changed much. You are correct in the observation about how thick the stuff is. It has the consistancy of honey.

I'm going to change my oil before I park the ol' girl this winter. I'll decide next spring whether or not to put the stuff back in.

I think I'll contact Lucas and ask them point blank about the sulfur/bearing issue.

Thanks again for your input folks. I'm here to learn and if possible help others.

Regards,

Hobie

P.S. I just e-mailedLucas and will post back if andwhat they tell me.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
As I'm using such a small percentage ratio of Lucas to Rotella, I'm of the opinion that the viscosity over-all hasn't changed much. You are correct in the observation about how thick the stuff is. It has the consistancy of honey.
It (your oil's viscosity) must have changed somewhat or you wouldn't be noticing a quieter engine. It's hard to tell if you will disperse the Lucas into your engine oil enough to not alter your base oil's cold viscosity or it will thicken up in it's own right when cold & partially plug off your oil filter or a small oil passage & block oil flow.

I'm not a big believer in any of the oil additives as the additive packages in thoseproducts are not always compatible with additives in modern motor oils (especially the synthetic type). Problem is; due to all the different oil packages & even running changes in the same oil company's product there is just no way any of the after-market oil additive products are tested in conjunction with all the oil's available out there at any given time. A few years ago one of the oil supplements (can't remember which one) would produce chlorine when added to a certain oil & that would severely etch bearings & erode engine components. That is one of the main reasons that most all the motorcycle & auto companies do not recommend (usually recommend against) using any sort of oil additive, they just can't predict what will happen when certain additives are mixed together in the engine crankcase then exposed to heat, moisture, age, & oil breakdown.

Twisty
Old 08-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1500 1990
Post imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Quote:
I read a while back about Mr. Fix It's adding a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil additive to his bike's oil after changing it. He said that it seemed to quiet the engine noise. Well, I tried putting 8 oz in my Rotella T synth when I changed it Fridayand by golly, it seems to work. I have had a small amount of the "ticky-ticky" valve train noise since I bought the bike. I honestly believe the bike is now running much more quiet. I also got almost 45 mpg yesterday which may or may not be a result of the additive.

The L.H.D.O.A. states right on the label that it is safe to use with wet clutches. I didn't notice any change in my clutch after 200 miles. Still grabs hold like it use to and under heavy acceleration didn't seem to have any slippage at all.

Just thought I'd offer my report to anyone who's interested.

One other thing: The temps were in the low 90's F. and my Evans coolant seems to not be bothered at all. Guage stayed right in the middle in town or out running 65 mph. (Had to throw in the Evans plug since it's been almost 2 weeks since the last)

Hobie
Quote:

Ihave had the same results and I am pleased with it thus far!
Quote:
The Lucas website gives the details as to what takes place with the oil and how it works so if there is anyone interested on the exact technology of the oil additive then they should take a cyber trip over to the website.
Quote:
Glad to see that Hobie isn't stirring the pot too much, just a bit so Evans can continue simmering!!
Quote:
And yes! I am an Evans user as well.
Quote:
No we are not related..
Quote:
Ride on Hobie1 can obie!!
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum