LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to philcsand Send a message via Yahoo to philcsand
Post imported post

So, I was sitting at my computer today, and was thinking...

Everyone says that glaze on a clutch plate is bad, but what exactly causes the glaze?

Is it an oil buildup like the premium oil manufactures claim?

Is it simply caused by the clutch plates wearing out?

Is there an additive that may be able to remove this glaze?

Has anyone notced that after treating the oil with MMO or seafoam the clutch works better?
1989 Catalina 22 -Sold
2007 Crappy Chinese made 50cc scooter - More fun than it should be.
philcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: 2006 GL1800
Post imported post

I've seen glazed or burned clutches, but they were all dry clutches, I don't see how an oil bath clutch could glaze.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Oil bath clutches can develope chatter. Some people may notice jerking when coming off a full stop, or when using the clutch hard to come off the line quickly. This is a direct result of clutch glaze.

I've never heard of any fix, besides replacing the cluthes and sometimes plates too. On dry clutches (autos) this sometimes also includes turning the flywheel, but I've never (personally) seen this done on bikes (needing to replace the basket side).
Old 10-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: 2006 GL1800
Post imported post

Could also be caused by a warped clutch disk. On a dry clutch what happens is the pressure plates get polished and the friction disk gets a glass like finish. The repair is to replace the disk and hone the pressure plates. I'd like to see a wet motorcycle clutch that's been glazed, because I just don't see how it can happen since the oil would limit the temperature of the plates.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to philcsand Send a message via Yahoo to philcsand
Post imported post

ok, so here's a question...

When one of our clutches "Goes Bad" and starts to slip, what is it?

Is it the friction plates physically getting thinner, and that coupled with the aging of the springs, makes it so that the plates just won't grab hold of the steel plates as well?
1989 Catalina 22 -Sold
2007 Crappy Chinese made 50cc scooter - More fun than it should be.
philcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a wet motorcycle clutch that's been glazed, because I just don't see how it can happen since the oil would limit the temperature of the plates.
exavid, you forgot that this (in any case) happens on vehicles where the maintenance is ignored. When you leave bad or little oil in any kind of vehicle where it's got wet or dry clutch bad things happen. Lot of people get hold of used bikes and cars and find them in badly ingored states. No telling what or how the previous owner treated it.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

philcsand wrote:
Quote:
So, I was sitting at my computer today, and was thinking...

Everyone says that glaze on a clutch plate is bad, but what exactly causes the glaze?

Is it an oil buildup like the premium oil manufactures claim?

Is it simply caused by the clutch plates wearing out?

Is there an additive that may be able to remove this glaze?

Has anyone notced that after treating the oil with MMO or seafoam the clutch works better?
Philcsand, clutch glaze is a term usually used when referring to a dry clutch.. Clutch glaze is the glazing or shinning of the actual clutch disk(s) friction surface.. When a clutch is over-worked or slipped it builds heat, that heat meltsthe clutch disk surface & allows the surface to get real shinny & loose it's friction coefficient.

Glazing isn't as prevalent in wet clutches but can happen if the slippage is great & the oil can't carry the heat away. Glazed clutch surfaces cause a rather poor clutch engagement, clutch chatter, poor clutch modulation, all can lead to more serious clutch slipping.

I think you are thinking of Molybdenum in the oil when you are are talking of a premium oil build-up.. That is not a premium oil problem but a common problem of almost ALL "energy Rated oil's).. Most new car manufactures of today call for an energy efficient oil to be used (that's to increase fuel mileage) & most of that oil contains Moly, that Moly CAN (not will) enter the clutch disk pores & can in some cases cause a clutch slipping problem.. As far as removing the Moly once it's impregnated into the clutch? Probably just using a non energy rated oil & using the motorcycle.. I doubt that all the Moly will come out but over time it should decrease to a point that it is a non issue.

As far as an additive to remove clutch plate glaze? I doubt it, some additives might claim to help but the real cure is to not glaze the darn things to begin with. Once a clutch plate glazes it is hard to de-glaze without removing & sanding the lining & even then all the glaze won't get removed.

Twisty
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Come on Twistie, you KNOW that MMO will cure it. LOL JUST KIDDING.
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
Hawker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum