Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

front wheel wobble

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Binge 
#1 ·
imported post

:? met a fellow goldwing rider at the local coffee shop this morning. his ride is a 1983 1100. he complained of a low speed oscillation of the handlebars while deaccelerating. i took the bike for a spin around the parking lot and the oscillation was terrible if i sped up tp about 15 mph and let go of the throttle and handle bars. he said the bike was okay at highway speeds. i put the bike up on the center stand. front forks felt tight and swung easily side to side. tires looked good without any wear patterns.

any thouights would be welcome john

#2 ·
imported post

Low speed wobble is very common especially on the older bikes. All 3 of my 70's models do it.One of them has a brace and that seems to help some but more so in cornering. Try a search, there is a lot of info allready here on the subject.

#3 ·
imported post

Don't let go of the handlebars.;)My 83I still has a bit of a wobble when de-accelerating around 30 mph even after replacing fork springs, putting on a
Superbrace, new tires aired up to operating pressure, new steering stem bearings and such. Even so, I still get just a suggestion of a wobble if I loosen my grip on the handlebars.I've gotten used to it and hold on to the bars.:)It has something to do with the fork rake geometry.

Hobie

#4 ·
imported post

thanks for the replies. i know that on my 1984 1200 the handlebars are rock steady. i had never ridden a 1100 before. the owner of the 1100 has had the bike since last year and wasn't aware of some of the features such as the airing up of the shocks.too bad the guy doesn't have a computer , otherwise he could join the great group of people here.

he works as a truck driver and works with a guy that bought a shipping container from a seizure sale????. the guy opens the container and there sits a 1987 aspencade. wants $1500.00 so the story goes. guess i'm making a phone call tomorrow. buddy says the engine cranks over but didn't start. i wonder how hard it is to get a clear title for a bike like this?

#5 ·
imported post

johnboy wrote:
thanks for the replies. i know that on my 1984 1200 the handlebars are rock steady. i had never ridden a 1100 before. the owner of the 1100 has had the bike since last year and wasn't aware of some of the features such as the airing up of the shocks.too bad the guy doesn't have a computer , otherwise he could join the great group of people here.

he works as a truck driver and works with a guy that bought a shipping container from a seizure sale????. the guy opens the container and there sits a 1987 aspencade. wants $1500.00 so the story goes. guess i'm making a phone call tomorrow. buddy says the engine cranks over but didn't start. i wonder how hard it is to get a clear title for a bike like this?
I have no clue about Can. motor vehicle laws but if it was bought in a seizure within the borderseems likeyou should be able to register it. :baffled:

This might be a good deal if the bike is not damaged and the overall condition is good. It is a plus if it will crank. However' if you can turn you own wrenches its ability to start may not be paramount but can be in your favor for negotiating a price.

"Cash always talk and bull&*^$ walks". Present him with a lower cash figure and see if he takes you up on your offer.

I'll be hanging out to see what kind of deal you come up with :waving:

Keep on Winging :bat:

#6 ·
imported post

johnboy wrote:
:? met a fellow goldwing rider at the local coffee shop this morning. his ride is a 1983 1100. he complained of a low speed oscillation of the handlebars while deaccelerating. i took the bike for a spin around the parking lot and the oscillation was terrible if i sped up tp about 15 mph and let go of the throttle and handle bars. he said the bike was okay at highway speeds. i put the bike up on the center stand. front forks felt tight and swung easily side to side. tires looked good without any wear patterns.

any thouights would be welcome john
It must be common.. My 83 Aspencade does the same.

#7 ·
imported post

i looked at the 1986 1200 aspencade on tuesday. i couldn't see the vin # because the bike was jammed into a corner.odometer should 050,000 km.by this i am sure the bike hasn't rolled over 100,000 km.it had a digital dash and i think the 1987's had analog gauges??? there is a working honda am-fm cassete deck, a c.b. radio complete with helmets and mikes. side covers are missing, seat has been patched. windshield and chrome windshield trim is missing. speakers and covers missing. exhaust looks good.

spark plugs are removed, engine cranks ok. starter relay burnt out. trunk light cracked, headlight cracked. rear master cylinder spongy. tires about 30%.digital dash works.bike is a light pink champagne colour, paint fairly good. i was going to offer $1000.00 does this seem like a good price?? waiting for the guy to get the title. if the bike can be made to run i think $1000.00 could result in a clean bike. or are the parts worth more than the repair costs??

#8 ·
imported post

johnboy wrote:
:? met a fellow goldwing rider at the local coffee shop this morning. his ride is a 1983 1100. he complained of a low speed oscillation of the handlebars while deaccelerating. i took the bike for a spin around the parking lot and the oscillation was terrible if i sped up tp about 15 mph and let go of the throttle and handle bars.
Low speed decelerating wobble is pretty common on all models. The two things I know of that can affect the wobble for sure is first of all the front tire. It doesn't have to look very worn a bit of cupping can cause the problem. Second cause would be head bearings that might need cleaning, lubing and re-tensioning. On my 1500 I know the wobble is from the front tire. With a new tire the wobble goes completely away now with over 10,000 miles on the front the wobble is reasserting itself.

#12 ·
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
If you do not want the bike, I will gladly drive my truck there and buy it. Good find, nice project.
Not fair Hawker, give the guy a chance to dicker with it awhile, your only making it harder for him to decide, having such a willing buyer and all. :fighting:Take that, you selfish guy.

glcxrider :coollep:

psst. don't say anything Johnboy, but their might be other bidders out their who might up the ante if you only ask. he he he :banana:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

#13 ·
imported post

johnboy: It sounds like a deal, but if you are a bit worried do a cpompression and leak down test on the engine. Get under it and inspect with a hammer and a pick and look for rusted areas, side stand, center stand, triple head. Inspect all bolted areas for motor mounts, inspect shock mounts. Rotate the bars slowly back and forth and feel for sticking, rotate the wheels slowly and feel, listen for noise and rubbing of discs, spin the wheels as fast as you can and see how long they continue and if they come to a long stop and no jerkiness. Cosmetics be damned, make sure it can be put safe and pass a certification process. Sit on it with all brakes engaged and make it jump and feel the squash and listen for loose fasteners. Bring a spare battery and cables with you when you check it out. Try a do a search on ownership, try to get a list of POs and see where the bike was last registered. Use you gut feeling. Best of luck. Al

#14 ·
imported post

glcxrider wrote:
Hawker22 wrote:
If you do not want the bike, I will gladly drive my truck there and buy it. Good find, nice project.
Not fair Hawker, give the guy a chance to dicker with it awhile, your only making it harder for him to decide, having such a willing buyer and all. :fighting:Take that, you selfish guy.

glcxrider :coollep:

psst. don't say anything Johnboy, but their might be other bidders out their who might up the ante if you only ask. he he he :banana:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Ya, I know. I hope you understood that I was only trying to indicate that I was drooling over the find--not to compete with him.

#15 ·
imported post

:waving:i'm going to call the guy tomorrow and see if he has the clear title yet.a friend of mine wants the bike for the selling price but i was wondering about buying the bike, fixing her up and sell both the aspencade and my 1984 interstate and move up to a 1500.

curious to knows what the parts value of the bike would be as she sits. i know hawker22 bought a cb , both helmets are equipped with mikes. honda radio works. i guess it would be a shame to scrap a potentally rideable wing.

will keep the forum up to date. john

#17 ·
imported post

I got it all figured out, it's not the Goldwing that is causing the wobble, it's from that D*****M Avatar Rat we're all looking at. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.