LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have a problem to solve. At 64 years of age, I am at last the proud owner of a simply gorgeous, museum quality, 1983 Goldwing Interstate. It shows 7282 very believable miles on the odometer. But I don't want it as a museum piece--I bought it to ride. My immediate problem is that I can not get it up on its center stand without assistance of a willing bystander or by putting a board under its front tire. The suspension is up to recommended pressure. On the other hand I may have seen the solution to this problem in an eBay ad (I can attach aphoto) for a 1983 Aspencade. There is on this bike a simple-looking folding device that appears to attach to and extend the center stand lever for, well, more leverage! My problem is that I cannot find anyone who knows where I can buy such a gadget. Do I have to make one myself? Or have it made one off? Thanks for any help you can provide. If I can solve this problem I may be willing to ride and enjoy this wonderful motorcycle.
Kahuku, HI 96731

808-293-3203
dbh28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Well, I stand with my left hand on the left handle bar, with right hand on the rear, chrome thing (it seems to be either a grab rail or part of the bag framework...never studied it) at about seat level, put right foot on center stand lever, and lift with right hand, putting lift pressure on center stand lever, while steadying bike with left hand, and up she comes!!! I'm 63.25 yr old, by the way. Way younger than YOU!!!

If you "feel" the 2 center stand pads are both in contact with the ground before you lift, the bike stays balanced right thru the process. Good luck!! (keep your assistant handy until you gain some confidence)
Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

No neither can a lot of other people me included 66 Years. 85 Aspy, I roll the back wheel up onto a piece of 2x8 cut with a slope at one end then from there put the stand down and lift. I still need the wife to help as I just had a back operation in May. Maybe one day I might be able to do it solo again....I doubt it.

tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Goldwing Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Howdy dbh28 You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.

Hey your only a cub at 64yrs young I ride my neighbours and i sure dont have any problems putting her up on the centre stand

Ride Safe and enjoy your wing.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

My problem is getting it off the center stand. Since the bike is pass center when on the center stand I have to rock it a bit to get it off. After putting a Kawasaki Concours on the center stand for the pass three years I have had some good training. The Kawasaki is one heavy bike to get on the center stand. By the way I'm 69 years old.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

its not you its the bike i could never put my 84 up al0one but the 01 1800 is a breese im 67 and i couldnt belive the difference sorry fo the bad news get a 1800 you will love it
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Goldwing Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

rookie wrote:
Quote:
its not you its the bike i could never put my 84 up al0one but the 01 1800 is a breese im 67 and i couldnt belive the difference sorry fo the bad news get a 1800 you will love it
Hey rookie Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.

Please update your Profile and Insert your LOCATION.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

dbh28, Don't be embarrased. I'm also 64 and have an 83 Aspencade. I have had it for over a year and have never been able to put it on the center stand. I have a M/C jack, so until I can get around to modifying my center stand, if it is going to be parked for any lenght of time I just put it on the jack. Other than that it stays on the side stand. Jim
Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

The thing is this. I saw on eBay a 1983 Aspencade. I don't know why I was looking at this but I was and I suddenly starred in disbelief. It had a very peculiar looking device bolted to the center stand--the center stand not the side stand. It seemed to be a compound arm because it articulates in the middle. In the up position it lies neatly alongside the frame but when you want to put the bike down it unfolds to give more leverage. I wrote to the seller and ask for information. They seem to be reluctant to talk to me since I am not going to buy the bike. But I downloaded three images that all show this attachment very clearly. I would like buy one of course but don't see anything like this for sale. So I might try to fabricate one myself--quite a big undertaking but not impossible. I could try to send you the photo but the file size is too big for this site--at least I haven't figured out how to keep it under the 102400 bytes limit the site imposes. If you are interested to see it, please give me a personal email address and I will send the photos--very fascinating.
Kahuku, HI 96731

808-293-3203
dbh28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have an 85 Aspencade and two 82 Silverwings. Althought it's heavier, the Goldwing is easier to put on the center stand than the Silverwings.

I just hold onto the left handlebar with my left hand, grab something solid with my right hand that is aft of the center stand, rock the bike to feel when both sides of the center stand are in contact with the ground and put all my weight on the center stand "lever" at the same time I pull up with my right hand. It goes up fairly easily.

I found that technique is everything, since I couldn't get my Silverwing on the center stand when I first got it. When someone on a Silverwing forum described the above technique, I found out it could be done.

Good Luck,

Roger Edmonds

Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum