Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

triple tree removal

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  goldwing warrior 
#1 ·
imported post

To the list:
Am converting to a naked wing on a 83 GL1100 Interstate.
I have everything done up to the point where I remove the triple tree so I can get the ears on.
I have both a Clymers and a GW shop maunual and neither one has any info on this particular operation. Neither even mentions the term Triple Tree.
Is there some place on the web that gives instructions for this operation and has a few pics to assist?
My email is
Bombadee@surfglobal.net
Thanks
Carl

#2 ·
imported post

In your Clymer's manual, in Chapter Nine, look under Front Suspension, and then Steering Head Disassembly and Inspection. The procedure is the same for 75-83. And welcome to the forum.:D

Gene:waving::15grey::15grey::15grey::cooler:

#3 ·
imported post

Unless I am missing something, and I am sure I am not, you do not have to remove the triple tree to put the headlight ears on. All you should need to do is remove the front wheel, loosen the fork tubes from the triple tree, and slide the tubes down all the way. Put the ear in one side, and slide the tube back up through ear.

For best results, remove the air hose at the top of the tubes if you have it, and remove the fender so each fork tube will move independant of each other. You may also have to remove the calipers, but leave them attached to the brake lines.

Raymond

#4 ·
imported post

On my 1100 the fork caps are a bit wider in diameter than the fork tube. It was necessary to remove the caps to slide the tubes down through the triple tree which the Honda manuals calls asteering stem. When you unbolt the calipers be sure to support them with a wire or cord so that their weight isn't hanging on the brake lines.

#6 ·
351 lobo,
If you are talking about the nut on the steering stem. The nut that retains and tightens the bearings here you go.

TORQUE: 27 N·m (2.8 kg·m, 20 lb·ft)

1. Tighten the steering bearing adjustment nut to
the specified torque.
2. Loosen the steering bearing adjustment nut and
retighten it to the same torque.
3. Turn the steering stem left and right, lock-to-lock
at least four times to seat the bearings.
Retighten the adjustment nut to the same torque.
4. Repeat step 3.

TOOL:
Steering stem socket 07916-3710101 or
07916-3710100
TORQUE: 27 N·m (2.8 kg·m, 20 lb·ft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.