Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backfires, won't start when hot

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  exavid 
#1 ·
imported post

Just got first problem with 1986 GL 1200. Bike was at operating temp after good ride. Made short stop. On statup, bike backfired loudly, more than once and wouldnt start. Checked timing belts, everything good. when bike was cool it will start and run fine. Doesn't do it every time.

#2 ·
imported post

You may want to check the choke circuit/cables. If you're applying throttle while cranknig motor ---- Stop the practice.... :gunhead:

#4 ·
imported post

Possibly pulser coils becoming unreliable. They tend to begin causing problems when hot and work more or less okay when cool.

#5 ·
imported post

Shooter wrote:
If you're applying throttle while cranknig motor ---- Stop the practice.... :gunhead:
I notice this when starting my GL1200. If I open the throttle at all, warm or cold,the engine seems to kick back against the starter. Is this due to timing advance or something to do with the carb throttles, or.......?

#6 ·
imported post

Hey Hectorbrew :waving: [shadow=aqua]Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Please update your profile and insert your LOCATION.:action:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

#7 ·
imported post

I agree with Paul. That is exactly what my 1200 did when the pulse generators went. Go in the store and when I come out would not start. Just bacfire and pop. Turn off and fill gas. Same thing. Cool off and all worked well for a while. Eventually it would not run after about 5 minutes of riding. You are decribing what could be the begining of the nd for them. :D

#8 ·
imported post

Thanks for everyone's help. Your advice and research of manuals make me believe the pulse generators are the problem. Just trying to make sure because everyone out there knows how proud Honda is of their parts. Have to bite the bullet to keep my hair in the wind!!

Thanks again and I will update my profile.

#9 ·
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Hectorbrew! :waving::waving:

I didn't notice that was your first post, always like to welcome a new member on their first posting!

Yes, it's true that momma Honda is proud of what she makes. On the other hand a stop at Harley or BMW will prove that's not only Honda. Luckily the 'Wing doesn't need parts as often as a HD.:goofygrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.