LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Older and Wiser

Goldwing Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

It's about time the Goldwing GOS was updated. This really needs to happen every year.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Post imported post

BenMC wrote:
Quote:
It's about time the Goldwing GOS was updated. This really needs to happen every year.
I don't know about that. $200 every year? I already feel that mother Honda and Garmin is reaching into my pocket without the foreplay. If major software issues were ironed out, along with map updates...Then I can understand the cost. I hope future map updates won't be such a rip off.

I will report back to this forum with any positive changes regarding the software updates. The fact that Garmin is not stating any information about this new flash card is just plain bad business in my opinion.

2012 GL1800 Ultra Blue Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS
ekurtike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Post imported post

And the survey says????????? Were there $200 worth of updates and repairs to the system?

drsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Post imported post

Whatever enhancements were made to the firmware, they are so slight that they really don't stand out. Since I like back roads with lots of twisties and scenery, I am glad to see they fixed the "Unverified Road" bonging that interrupted my music every 20 seconds or so. The latest Mapping update has done nothing about "Verifying" these named roads that have been around for years.

I believe the "Points of Interest" on the GPS has been cleaned up and offers better information. On a recent ride up to San Luis Obispo, a friend of mine and I were on route 58 (off the 101 North) early on a Saturday morning. For about an hour and a half we were travelling in 26F weather through some valleys and I made a stop to thaw out. We were both freezing and hungry, so I brought up the nearest services in an area that was totally out in the middle of nowhere. There was a place called "Rosie's Cafe" on route 33 in a town called Fellows, only 14 miles away. All things being subjective, I would have paid $200 for a warm building and food at that point and I would never have found this little "hole in the wall" without the navigation system, the town didn't show up on the maps I had. Based on what little information I have about the changes in firmware, I don't think a whole lot of people will be shelling out $200 plus for this latest update. Hopefully someone will post with more definitive facts on things I have overlooked.

2012 GL1800 Ultra Blue Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS
ekurtike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

The map databases are not being updated as well as they should be. I was talking to a fellow in Flagstaff who's home is on an area that does not even show to have streets. He walked the area and mapped every street that existed around his neighborhood.

He then sent that info in to Garmin and the folks that Garmin buys their database from. That was over five years ago and still nothing has been done to add those streets to the database.

The subject came up because I tried to find his house with my Garmin 2730 and his street doesn't even show to be in Arizona??

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
The map databases are not being updated as well as they should be. I was talking to a fellow in Flagstaff who's home is on an area that does not even show to have streets. He walked the area and mapped every street that existed around his neighborhood.

He then sent that info in to Garmin and the folks that Garmin buys their database from. That was over five years ago and still nothing has been done to add those streets to the database.

The subject came up because I tried to find his house with my Garmin 2730 and his street doesn't even show to be in Arizona??
I'm not sure how Garmin sets priorities for their updates. Just know that only a year or two after we had our house built in Scottsdale, you could see it on all the software maps I could find. Even had overhead shots of our neighborhood which were pretty darn clear. We had our place in WV built almost 4 years ago, and the roads still don't even show up on any maps...Garmin included. Makes you wonder who prioritizes these systems or decides which areas are more important...doesn't it?
Escapade \"Elite\" Trailer

SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Post imported post

Update: I just purchased a GL1800 08'. The software was version 4.31 and the map info was "City Navigator North America Version 8, may 2006". Called Garmin to see if there was a free update, as Garmin usually would update software if you purchased something and new software was out.

:P So much for that idea. They stated that the unit was not a garmin, and according to the license agreement with Honda, there were no free upgrades. They suggested I talk with the Honda dealer to see if they would pay for the update.

Looks like I will just stick with what I have and purchase a Zumo 550 and ram mount. I have been riding with a Color Street Pilot III for the last 6-7 years and it still works well. I update the software every other year or so.

At any rate, that what I found as of 12/1/08. Ride Safe!
Doc

clarkjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Post imported post

Question for computer Guru's. I have heard on this site and others many times that you can download the City Navigator CD to the Garmain Card, that fits in the Wing. I am sure I can figure out how to do this, but my question is this, I have the City Navigator CD and can update it for free at the Garmain Website. It is a CD I got when I purchased a Zumo. I understand the download and all that kind of thing, but my real question is , from what I can tell of it, it is just that, an update for City Navigator, and updates major cities. Does not update all the other roads between the cities?? As a matter of fact it is in addition to the information already on the Zumo.

So is all this talk about using this update correct? Or just for major cities? Does City Navigator also update all roads? If for a fact this CD does update all roads, then I am pretty sure I know how to bootleg it , and use it with the Wings.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Bootlegging may be out of the question. Garmin updates are given unlock codes that are tied to the units' serial number. Tried some of that with Magellan and it wouldn't work, either. The maps sent on SD cards are able to be copied, but enhancements usually are not.

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

http://www.iraqwarheroes.org/
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Post imported post

Here is a much cheaper way to upgrade/update your maps and firmware. I just did it on my 07 and it worked flawlessly.

Go to the following forum discussion and see post # 235 from Modesto Bob for a step by step.

http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthre...=171213&page=8
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum