LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

I keep thinking about the guy that posted a while back, he had a violent tank slapper wobble at speed. Fortunately he was able to recover from it but this haunts my mind worrying about it happening to me.

I've done all service to the forks, tire and such but I still get a wobble on decel around 40 mph.

Back when I was rock crawling with 4 wheel drives and sand rails we would put a steering damper on the steering linkage.
A guy I worked for saw this one time on my International Scout and commented that he used to put those on motorcycles, that he never thought to put one on a truck.
It worked great to drastically reduce the effect rocks and the road would have on the steering wheel from pushing the tires where you dont want it to go.

I've never seen a damper recommended here on the forum to help in stopping the wobble.
Why is this?
Could it be nobody has thought of this or am I missing something?

I reed M/C mags and dont see them for sale either. ?

I havent done much research on the subject yet, I thought I'd get some input here first.

http://classicgoldwings.com
dan filipi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

They are standard on many sport bikes but I've never seen one for a Wing.

John
Dadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

A friend of mine has added a large steering stabilizer to his 1200.But he has a sidecar.It runs from the side car to to a bracket on theforks.I am not sure what promted it,but he would not be without it.
cb500 cafe
cb400f SuperSport
tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Dan

You have a pm.
IRAQI RAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 94SE 193K miles
Post imported post

Back in the day Mother Honda sent them out the door installed on 250 and 305 machines . (CB72CB77 ) I have seen them on crotch rockets . It could very well be what is needed to solve the problem.
NASSIR 7 in the works
OnaWingandaPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Quote:
Back in the day Mother Honda sent them out the door installed on 250 and 305 machines . (CB72CB77 ) I have seen them on crotch rockets . It could very well be what is needed to solve the problem.
I can remember the big black knob on the steering head on a Yamaha scrambler I had. Worked great ...tighten for harder steering and loosen for easier steering. Was great when riding in deep sand.

Since I don't take the wing in deep sand not sure if it would be much use.

However I have noticed that 41 psi in the front helps to lessen the decel "wobble".

Tim

Was Wannabewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nightwing83
Post imported post

I had one on my drag its been so long but I am sure it was fairly easy to install and it helped alot I have thought about it a few times for mt wing also but never followed up on it

The world is an ever changing place. Don\'t let change handicap your life. But embrace it and
use it to improve your Life.

A Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Nightwing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

I havn't had a Goldwing for very long, but I've been riding and had pretty much most different types and sizes of bikes out there. I say this because, a couple of weeks ago I was traveling south on Rte95 coming up to my exit, at around 85mph. I was in the fast lane, and went around and cleared one more tractor trailer by around 4 or 5 car lenghts, before putting on my blinker and turning into the right lane to go to my exit, about 1/4 mile away. There was a car in front of me with blinker on heading to the same exit so I had to brake some to keep pace with his speed. Well, as soon as I started braking, handle bars started violently going side to side so bad that I thought bike was going to jack-knife and go down. I held the bars with absolutely all of my might and they continued to go side to side. I let off the brakes, and it didn't matter, then reapplied brakes, and it didn't matter. All this time the tractor trailer is bearing down on me and I can hear it trying to slow down and not run over me. I truly thought that I was going to go down and started trying to persuade the bike towards the side of the road where I could let it go and maybe land in the grass, but I couldn't get it to respond at all. Finally scrubbed off enough speed to get down to around 45mph and muscled bars to stay straight.Turnedoff at exit and went few miles to my house with no further problems. I've never had this happen to me before, and hope it never happens again. Bike is in my garage, and I'll be tearing down front end replacing bearings and anything else to repair, including checking swing arm connections, steering neck, etc., whatever it takes to fix this. Mike
Verowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

Verowing,

Be sure to also check the rear swing arm bushings for side play or looseness. Teacher just had a problem like that and found it in the back of his bike.

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
Verowing,

Be sure to also check the rear swing arm bushings for side play or looseness. Teacher just had a problem like that and found it in the back of his bike.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. I'll tell you the truth, I hope I find something that is bad, otherwise I won't feel confident riding this bike.Mike
Verowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum