Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gl1200 1984 Asp. Valve noise

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Renegade 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone.I have a problem with my 1984 Gl1200 Aspencade.It sounds like valve noise on right side of engine afetr engine has reached normal operating temp. It first stated with only once in a while and then it would stop.I could go 40 to 50 miles and it would start again.It is getting more often and lasting longer.Is there any valve adjustment on the GL1200 engine?Anyone out there have a suggestion as to what to check.Thanks a lot.James

#2 ·
imported post

hello,

The noise is most likely to be the fuel pump stopping and starting, it operates on and off, as the motor needs it.

I normally hear it when the bike is started on choke, its a ticking sort of noise, and it stops as the motor warms up.

Hearing it all the time, wouldn't be normal I would think, so it might be worth checking the pump, fuel lines and filter.

There is no valve adjustment, they are hydralic.

good luck.,

#3 ·
imported post

there is no tappet adjustment on the 1200, they are hydraulicaly adjustesd, if its not the fuel pump ticking as suggested, i could be an air lock at the tappets, try giving it an oil change using 10/40, i may stop it it may not

#4 ·
imported post

Too high an oil level will cause the oil to foam introducing air into the hydraulic lash adjusters.Sometimes it will cure your problem just by adjusting to the proper oil level.May not cure it right away as the air will have to be bled out of the adjusters.

#5 ·
imported post

Another passing thought is the center exhaust collar out of line. It should be equally centered between the rocker arm shafts. If memory serves me, this was the cause of a "valve clacking" sound from my brothers 1200.

Pull cylinder head-->>check clearance-->>adjust by loosening the center lower bolt on the camshaft holder and sliding the collar to equal clearance between the exhaust rocket arms.
1984 = (.10 mm or 0.004 in.)

#7 ·
imported post

oldishwinger wrote:
hello,

The noise is most likely to be the fuel pump stopping and starting, it operates on and off, as the motor needs it.

I normally hear it when the bike is started on choke, its a ticking sort of noise, and it stops as the motor warms up.

Hearing it all the time, wouldn't be normal I would think, so it might be worth checking the pump, fuel lines and filter.

There is no valve adjustment, they are hydralic.

good luck.,I would agree with the fuel pump theory ! mine is noisy as hell and

sounds like tappets but I found it to be the pump making all the noise ;)

#8 ·
imported post

I had the noise and had the high oil level. I ended up doing a oil/filter change switching to Royal Purple, got rid of the tappet noise and now I can hear the the fuel pump starting and stopping!

#11 ·
imported post

I suppose I should have performed an edit to my post correctly identifying the cover as the part to be removed. ooops! :clapper:perhaps a little better proofreading on my part.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.