LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Gents,

Well, I finally received my shipment of ordered stuff from Wingstuff. I got the air hose that's specific for the Aspencade. I also got a spare fuel filter, and the "Kuryakyn L.E.D. volt meter. Because of where I mounted it. Start t finish on this install was about 30 minutes. Well, I start up the bike. the little lights all come on in a smal l pattern then settel down and reads between 13 and 14 volts. I checked right at the battery while running and I am 14. 9 volts. The new meter doesn't measure it that way I guess. Here's a pic of the install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volt meter.jpg (32.4 KB, 304 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Wires have a property called resistance. Battery voltage may be 14.9, but with the dinky wire that comes with most devices will have a voltage drop. Varies with the wire size and load.

The meter show is not that accurate anyway. A meter with an LED or LCD display would have been more accurate for readings.

I used to work on Mac computers, and they originally had a 12" wire harness. There would be 5V at the power supply, and 4.92 at the motherboard. The harness that came out later had thicker wire, and after that the motherboard voltage went to like 4.98.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to EDDIE W
Post imported post

nice little meter, i put a digital volt meter on mine, it gives a totaly different reading than the 3 AVO meters i have, and the 3 meters read the same, so i dont rely on the one i fitted, its more for show than anything now
EDDIE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

That's a nice little gauge. Quick glance and you know you are good, I like the darkening feature at night too. I put one on mine, and managed to lose the chrome cover tooling down one of Chicago's finest toll roads.

1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

http://www.iraqwarheroes.org/
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Silicon Sam,

I researched some LCD and LED ones before I picked this one. I was obviously going the wrong direction 'cause the ones I looked at you had to "Build" before installing. In that you had to remove some jumper wires here and install some resistors there to make it work. And, since you know about computers etc, the LCDs and LEDs I was considering can't be powered by the same voltage you are trying to monitor. So, many of them had to be powered by a 9V battery so that could be independent of the power you were monitoring.

So, that lead to going to checking on "Wingstuff" and one or two other sites to see what they had. Well, I really don't care for it 'cause it's too vague. I would have rather had an LED one. I know and realize it's way more accurate. But, this will do for now, it's at least telling me that I'm getting a charge whereas I had nothing before. Crazy Hondas, why didn't they put one on from the factory on this year model?????????

Scott
Old 07-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

gidday,

if you have connected the voltmeter to the auxillary screws, there will be a slight
difference, in voltage reading, at the battery, and auxillary, a very clever person on this forum worked it out about .2 of of a volt, not really worth worrying about.

connecting the voltmeter to a relay, that is connected, directly to the battery. may give you a more accurate reading.

good luck,

1986 Gl1200 Aspencade (Mariah)

\'I ride not to get there, but to go\'
oldishwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
My Uncle is NUTS! He's...

Goldwing Model: Well...
Garage
Post imported post

A couple of things about voltmeters. They are not intended to be absolute lab measurement devices. Those units that have a tenth of a volt are rediculous.
Even without that, the actual voltage read does not matter either. What a vehicle voltmeter is for is for you to learn what is full charge, what is reduced charge and what the normal cyclical patterns of the system are so you can tell when things aren't normal early.

Others have already mentioned the wiring voltage drop but as I said that is not an issue.

If you really care, attach the meter only at the battery. then take a calibrated voltmeter and measure the full charge voltage. Then look at your bike meter. THAT is full charge, whatever it is. Now you have a reference point you can reference changes up or down by that reference.

I have that same black voltmeter mounted to my key bridge and I can see it reflected day or night on my windscreen just below the viewing area. That way I have a heads up display on my windshield. Works simply and efficiently. I only recommend using the black one to do that unless you want all the chrome in your face on the windscreen reflection as well.

Sadly true, but if this isn't you, consider using the following 3 tools:

1. Tails Live DVD/Flash anonymity OS
https://tails.boum.org (free)

2. Use a VPN connection when in public or home like
https://ProXPN.com) (free vers avail)

3. Send Text messages, pics and vids privately
Threema app (iOS or Android, $1.99)
I use them all. Feel free to ask.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....chrome.....

Now I sound like Digger.

1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

http://www.iraqwarheroes.org/
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

I put mine over the neutral light on my 1100. Black case and still too bright which was a distraction. I covered 1/2 the lights with black tape. Good for me!!
john424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Motosickle
Post imported post

FIRE UP wrote:
Quote:
Gents,

**** Well, I finally received my shipment of ordered stuff from Wingstuff. I got the air hose that's specific for the Aspencade. I also got a spare fuel filter, and the "Kuryakyn L.E.D. volt meter. Because of where I mounted it. Start t finish on this install was about 30 minutes. Well, I start up the bike. the little lights all come on in a smal l pattern then settel down and reads between 13 and 14 volts. I checked right at the battery while running and I am 14. 9 volts. The new meter doesn't measure it that way I guess. Here's a pic of the install.
how much did that unit cost?
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum