LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Im wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and if they know what the problem is and how to fix. (i'm completely clueless) After starting my friends 2003 gl1800 the starter motor stays running. I turned the key off..it kept crank'in...turned off the kill switch...kept crankin???? so I tuned the key back to on and it fired up and starter still stayed on. took a few minutes of this off and on processto finally shut off. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

I would think that the solonoid is being fed power when it should'nt be. the solonoid might be shorting out internally. it is a switch which is activated by the start button. so if the start button is releasing..... than the solonoid should stop sending power.
Make sure that the start button is working properly, Than look closely at the starter solonoid & all related wiring.
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

That one can be several things. But it is for sure an electrical short in something. If you turn the ignition and kill switch off.....and it keeps crankin.......it is most likely NOT the starter...or starter relay switch.

Those kinds of things take a tester.......lots of time.......and a very methodical check of all wiring from the starter switch to the starter. Something is against the frame of the bike.....and current is not shutting down to the relay switch when the motor starts.

You can start by looking at the relay switch and starter....see if insulation on the wiring is melted and touching the frame......if the starter engages for a long time....it and the wires get red hot......it could have gotten a small short......now is worse.....But as it is not blowing a fuse.......I do suspect it to be close to the starter and or relay.......past the main fuse.....and could also be the relay switch in conjuction with a short.....as something caused it.....to start....it may also be sticking in the closed position......either it stuck and got hot and melted a wire.....or simple rubbing of a wire on the frame finally shorted direct to the frame.

There is a short somewhere.....wire touching the frame of the bike.......both the ignition and kill switch one or the other should kill the power to the starter relay switch......as neither does........it is a direct short. Check the kill switch also for proper continuity on and off......sometimes one can have several problems and they all wait to show up all at once

Kit

Adding to this.....as my brain starts to work......I very highly doubt it is in the top circuits....such as kill switch and ignition.....and the reason a fuse is not blowing is the short is at the starter and or the relay switch....most likely in the wire from the battery to the starter system. So is is creating a power loop....beyond the controls and fuse. Electrical things do funny things.....so as it heats up....(the wire) it is most likely expanding enough to release contact with the frame......and you can quickly look to see if some object such as a nail....or wire has flew up there and is making contact between something and the starter system.......strange things happen sometimes.....
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

thank you guys, I'll check the wires...but I think this is going to the the honda shop sounds pretty hard. thank you.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
RB

Send a message via AIM to RB
Post imported post

I am not positive but I think the only thing that could do what you describe is a short across the posts on the solenoid or an internal short of the solenoid. Not hard to see if external, if internal..new solenoid. There has to be some direct link from the post on the starter to the positive post on the battery and that's the only one??? With the ignition off no other wire would be "hot" so they couldn't feed juice to the starter..via a short between a hot wire and the starters positive cable. You can pull the positive cable out of the frame fairly easily and run it outside so you can see all of it. Take off the starter end..holding the lock nut tight so you don't spin the post, that will break the connection inside and ruin the starter.. once off just pull the cable out from the battery end there maybe a clip holding the cable down to the frame which will have to be bent open..but nothing else should be holding it in place. NO need for a shop to do this.. at $60 an hour.
1979 GL1000 parting out PM if you\'re looking for something
1975 sold
1978 sold
1981 sold
1982 sold
1982 sold
1983 A sold
1997 1500 SE..New daily rider
1999 1500 SE SOLD
FAIR WINDS,
RB
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: Stream Silver 2007
Post imported post

Starter relay A or B is sticking. There have been several instances of relay A sticking. Only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. Have the relays checked and replace the faulty one.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

I got the seat off and I am in the process of taking off the gas tank to get to starter, will the selonoid be on the starter? I am going to replace both starter relays. thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1200
Garage
Post imported post

the solenoid may be sticking.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

According to Clymers, in the troubleshooting section, if your starter continues to turn, it's a sticking starter solenoid. But, as Kit Karson says, there's a few ways to check what's what. Really not that hard to diagnose a problem like this. There's not much to the starter system. A switch, a relay, a solenoid and a bit of wiring. Good luck

Scott
Old 08-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

okay, I told my friend to order both starter relay A and starter relay B and they finaly came in. when he dropped them off he said that the service manager from the honda shop said this would be a good place to start, but said their are two selonoids on the 2003 GL1800...I have the honda shop manual for the bike and I cant find a listing in it for selonoids. In the starting system it only talks about RelayA and B??(could these be the selonoids, they kinda look like my lawnmowers selonoid?) I replaced the relays and the old relayA was corroded. So, does anyone out there know where the selonoids are located if any??? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum