LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Is synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid okay to use in the GL1800 brake and clutch systems and not void the warranty. Where can one buy DOT 4 that is not synthetic? I know auto parts store at one time had it but cannot find it now. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

You can get approved DOT4 fluid at any motorcycle dealer......Honda......Yamaha, any of them .

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

This is not official by any means, and I am not "in the know", but:

I have used synthetic and it worked fine in both my 1200 and my 1500. I don't see any reason it would not meet the specs for an 1800. It is completely compatable with the regular, and can be mixed with regular. I would be very surprised to find out that Honda would have a problem with it. Please someone tell me if I am wrong.

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President
http://www.hrot.org/
My personal webpage:
http://www.jmartino.me/goldwing/
Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

May I ask why synthetic , I have always used just plain DOT 4. ????
Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Dot 4 is synthetic. As stated it is compatable with Dot 3. Unlike Dot 5 which is compatible with only itself. Dot 4 is the stuff to use. It has a higher boiling point than Dot 3 and does not absorb moisture like Dot 3...

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
retiredintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

My Question again, why synthetic ??
Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Valkyrie Scum

Goldwing Model: GL1500CF - Valkyrie Interstate
Send a message via Yahoo to tybme
Post imported post

simonone wrote:
Quote:
My Question again, why synthetic ??
I think he was saying he couldn't find non synthetic.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - T.E. Lawrence

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Emerson

Rhinos are just chubby unicorns!

www.nassir-news.com
www.kanwings.com
www.wild-rhinos.com
tybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

The reason the service manual specifies to use only DOT 4 brake fluid is because our motorcycle rubber seals on the plunger pistons (if OEM) are of a silicon based type compound. They are made to resist any deterioration by regular fluids.

There is the possibility that the use of synthetic brake fluid....of which most are silicone based.......will react with the rubber parts. It is said by the manufacturer that this may cause damage to certain seals and rubber parts if they are in fact silicon based.

Will it actually cause this type of damage? That is a question of long term use.....just like using the wrong oil in our wet clutch. It will not be an immediate concern....but over time.....you will most likely see damage.

There is a real good full non silicon based synthetic on the market.......it is used in race bikes.......but it is not at all compatable with any other fluid. It requires a complete flush ......several times........the danger of this.....is if you take your bike to a shop....and they top it off with regular fluid, it forms a slush......big time bad news.
Its advantage is it will not eat paint.....

Meanwhile I would say stick with the DOT4....you can find at any bike shop.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

I believe that DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are either glycol or ethyl based. (based on what reading I can find on the internet so far.)

DOT 5 is the one that is silicone based.

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President
http://www.hrot.org/
My personal webpage:
http://www.jmartino.me/goldwing/
Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

After much to do I decided on going with the Vavoline Synthetic DOT 3/4. It claims that it is compatible with all braking systems requiring a DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluids and mixes with conventional fluids. It cost about $6 per quart at Advanced Auto Parts. What I did was, I first cleaned the reservors with the new fluid (one system at a time). Then flushed the clutch, front brake and rear brake systems using the Vavoline fluid and then filled them to the required levels. This required a little less than one quart of fluid. I am not 100% sure but I'll bet the Honda DOT 4 is a synthetic fluid. Thanks to everyone for the info.
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum