LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

I have an 82' 1100 Interstate and I think the vacuum advance is blown, according to my repair manual if you hook up a vacuum pump to the advance the advance should move with something like one and a half inches of vacuum and it does move and even increases the rpm with the manual vacuum pump,but it wont hold the vacuum, like any other vacuum advance it should hold vacuum right? does anyone know how much vacuum the carburetor should be pulling? I cant remember ever reading any shop topics about the vacuum advance, evertime someone has a power problem with their older wing they blame it on dirty carbs or bad carb sync but if the vacuum advance is blown I would imagine it will rob alot of power from the motor, any one else ever replaced or thought about replacing their vacumm advance, I think their about $140.00 from Honda and includes the spark generator.

One more thing my turn signals wont auto cancel, but I can be going around a curve or manuvering through a parking lot and the actuator in the handlebar switch will start trying to cancel even though I never flipped the switch, anyone have any ideas on what might need to be replaced, my repair manual says theirs about four different parts that control the cancellation of the turnsignal switch and doesnt tell how to test any of them, any help would be much appreciated rellating to either of these problems thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

Hey Jason, yes the vacuum advance should hold vacuum so it must have a hole in the diaphragm, it would be nice if you could get it separately but Honda does a lot of things that way, it is because that's how it was made to be assembled on the bike( or car)when it was built. There isn't much vacuum from the carb and it only has vacuum when you open the throttle.
My 83 had a problem like that with the self cancel and I found the arm on the steering sensor on the bottom of the steering stem was disconnected.
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
fgh

Goldwing Model: GL1100 Aspy
Post imported post

I had my engine out recently and thought the same about mine initially. The Honda manual gives a spec on the unit that says it should start and go to full advance with very little vacuum. I don't remember the spec but it was so small thatI couldn't read it on the gauge on my vacuum pump that starts at 5. Mine also seemed to not be holding vacuum but with a range so small it's hard to tell. As I recallmine would hold the advance openso I put it back in and she's running OK. Since it pulls vacuum off the number 3 carb it seems to me that the number 3 plug would read lean in the diaphram had ruptured. Does your#3 plug look lean?

I tired to buy a new assembly for my 83 but they are no longer available from Honda and no one makes an aftermarket ignition for the 1100's.

The Honda repair manual has a set by step diagnostic from the self cancelling turn signals. You can download it here I think. You'll need a volt and ohm meter to run the tests. I had a problem with mine and was able to trace it down to a connector where the metal wire end was getting pushed out of the connector when you plugged them in. LOL!!!
If it ain\'t broke you can\'t fix it!
fgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Post imported post

thanks for the info guys Im gonna take a close look at the steering stem and try to fix the turn signals this weekend, as for the vacuum advance I think it needs to be replaced since mine wont hold vacuum....
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

I now remember checking the vacuum advances on my 81 & 83 1100s by just putting the line in my mouth and sucking (lewd comments will be ignored), didn't take much to make them work and they did hold.
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum