Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark Plugs and Plug Wires?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kit Carson 
#1 ·
imported post

89 GL1500 what brand of plugs would you suggest and at what resistance should I replace the plug wires

#2 ·
imported post

i belive the plug wiers are copper core wires . can be bought off bulk roll and cut to leinght as needed .
didnt NGK s come in there from mother honda ? not hard to find either. i get mine from advance auto .

#4 ·
imported post

fgh wrote:
wda-83wing wrote:
i belive the plug wiers are copper core wires . can be bought off bulk roll

Do you know someplace that still carries copper core wire? I've looked high and low down here in South Ga. and can't find any!

:?:?
have you tried napa , or almost any hot rod shop suppler . i think you can get almost any color too. jegs comes to mind. or even jc whitney .

#6 ·
imported post

The plug wires are in fact copper core, but there is a catch. Each wire has a resistor built into it. The service manual says from 12.5 to 14 ohms checked through the secondary coil minus the plug.

A new set of plug wires for the GL1500 seems to be from 20 dollars per each one at the after market OEM places up to several hundred dollars for some of the advanced after market ones as a complete set.

I saw several sets on EBay , but again they are used, but were in the price range of 50 bucks.

I am fairly certain you need design specific plug wires, to just use bulk roll wire without the proper resistance , may or may not work, all I know is the service manual does give criteria for a resistance check and sets the range.

Kit

#7 ·
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
The plug wires are in fact copper core, but there is a catch. Each wire has a resistor built into it. The service manual says from 12.5 to 14 ohms checked through the secondary coil minus the plug.

A new set of plug wires for the GL1500 seems to be from 20 dollars per each one at the after market OEM places up to several hundred dollars for some of the advanced after market ones as a complete set.

I saw several sets on EBay , but again they are used, but were in the price range of 50 bucks.

I am fairly certain you need design specific plug wires, to just use bulk roll wire without the proper resistance , may or may not work, all I know is the service manual does give criteria for a resistance check and sets the range.

Kit
kit--are the 1800 wires the same way ? never replace any wires on a 1500 or a 1800 , just looked at them . live and learn huh ---

#8 ·
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
kit--are the 1800 wires the same way ? never replace any wires on a 1500 or a 1800 , just looked at them . live and learn huh ---
I am not sure what the wire core is for the wires on the 1800. Never thought about it really, have not had cause to cut the bonnet off one yet. But yes they do require a specific resistance to work properly. I will look all that stuff up this evening.

Kit

#9 ·
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:

There is resistance but it is more like 20,000 ohms for the GL1500

Attachments

#10 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

There is resistance but it is more like 20,000 ohms for the GL1500
Well I do not know how to read!! :D I knew what I meant, just no one else did, yes it is on the thousand scale, add three decimal points. I most likely read the wrong line, in a hurry, in one again, off and about again........just got here and it is off again.

Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.