LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2006 Goldwing
Post imported post

I just completed a Hondaline CB install (with a Hondaline antenna) to a 2006 Gl 1800 Airbag. I have a J&M Deluxe passenger controller installed also.

When I press the Talk button for the driver, I get aLOUD squeal. When I use the same helmet and cord hooked to the passenger controller, I get a roger beep and no squeal, all sounds prefect.

I rechecked all the connections (antenna too) under seat, and checked for proper continuity between the antenna plug and antenna (to confirm coax was not damaged/grounded) it appears okay.

All three of the capacitors are properly installed. I can't recheck the main connector under the right side of the top shelter without the major tear down again, but all the other functions work, so that plug must be properly seated.

I'm guessing I must have an existing problem in the talk button/wiring to the handlebar, but I am not sure how to best troubleshoot it or find/fix the actual problem.
TitaniumWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

A squeel like you describe can come from feed back where sound is traveling into itself like when you hold a microphone close to the speaker that your useing to address a croud. its an accellerating loop.

another cause for feed back is live touching ground in your plug or in your press to talk button. or 2 wires backwards in those same area's.

Are you reasonably sure that your new installed parts are compattible with your existing equiptment?
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Yes, reasonably sure, I believe the CB model (P/N 08E95-MCA-102) fits all GL 1800's . The installation instructions are dated 2006, and my bike is an '06. I also called the dealer before I purchased it (on eBay) and told him my model/year and he confirmed it was the correct CB.

I'm concerned there may be a pinched wire somewhere in the wiring up to the push to talk switch for the driver, as that comes with the bike - could have been pre-existing.

I would think I had screwed something up, but it is pretty much plug and play and the passenger push to talk works fine, plus all the other functions work fine and all run thru one main plug to the front.

According to the manual, I may have to pull the front fairing to check some pins for continuity to check the drivertalk switch and I don't want to do that major tear down until it is last resort. (Lot of work to check two pins.)
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

I would think, if you knew what to look for with continuity, you could check from the press button end if you pulled it apart. I think your right though, a pinched wire or a wire grounding out would be the culprit.

The fact that your system operates as intended from the rear control, narrows down the fault to the front. it might be right under the push to talk where live is touching your chrome on the handle bar!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

I will definitely start at the handle bar - removing the front fairing sounds like a real pain in the you know what. (That's were the manual says to go to check at the connection block.)
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

It should be covered under warranty. The rear works fine. Problem should be in the front wiring, hense a warranty issue. One more idea. Does the intercom work ok? Problem could be a short in the headset feed in the mic wire. Also are you using the same helmet on the front and rear? If not the problem could be in the headset.
Cowboy26a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Here's what I learned today:

The intercom, all the radio functions, and everything for the CB work fine except driver trans.

I am using the same new helmet/J&M headset/lower cord to test from both positions.

Plugged in driver intercom, key Either push to talk, get LOUD squeal.

Plugged into passenger intercom, key passenger push to talk, transmits clearly, no squeal.

Plugged into passenger intercom, key driver push to talk, No squeal, carrier tone, no voice transmitted.

So, I have two problems, 1) driver push to talk does not transmit from either intercom cord & 2) driver push to talk causes Loud Squeal on driver intercom only. Maybe three, as the range seems to be very limited. I have not hooked up an SWR - I assumed since the entire system is hondaline, the SWR should be calculated correctly?

Also, test with another Goldwing today. Up close our communications (both ways) using my passenger cord were amazingly clear, but when we went opposite directions, lost him quickly - very short range. I would have thought we would have be able to talk out to about 6 - 7 miles, but must have lost him at about 1, no more than 2 miles.

Removed Top Shelter again (only 30 minutes this time ) rechecked all connections, all good, solid connections, no bent pins, etc.

Checked driver cord from red connector to 6 pin, checked okay, wired per manual, good continuty.

I think you are right, its about time to go for warranty work.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

i agree whith that! At least you tried. It will be something minor.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Passed On, R.I.P.

Goldwing Model: 2007 GL1800
Post imported post

Download this bulletin as it addresses the 2006 airbagmodel CB squeal;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800%20...s/1800SB19.pdf

A subharness is required to fix your problem. hope this helps. john
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

How about taking the J and M passenger PTT assembly off the bike and then try the main headset and PTT button. Try that and see what happens.

It is not unusual for CB range on motorcycles to be very limited. Many times two miles is maximum distance. In fact most of the time.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum