LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hoping to get some help with a GL 1800 F1 problem. Have a 2003 Goldwing 1800 with 32,000 miles on it. Just recently changed out the Air Filter, Plugs, Oil and Filterwas looking for increased gas mileage but instead have an intermittent F1 light, speedometer failure ( intermittent ) and turn signal not clearing after turn ( also intermittent, tied to speedometerstatus, works when speedometer works) The F1 light has only given me a # 11 code once, usually just shuts off after testing. I have double checked loose connections around ECM but no help. Any suggestions?
yeazWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

I dearly wish I could help. Sounds like a loose electrical connection somewhere. I know you checked, buy maybe you pulled something loose in the process that you didn't think about. Someone will surely chime in later.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

The vehicle speed sensor is not making proper contact at a pin connector. The F1 coming on is the indication of that.

Get some contact cleaner and clean the main pin connection at the ECU, make sure it is plugged in well.

Also look for the black pin connector you unplugged , it is a three pin connector with a Green, white with black stripe, and brown with white stripe wires.

Wire colors might be different on the 03, but you are looking for a three pin connector that carries the signal from the speed sensor to the ECU. Might be you did not unplug it, just pulled it or disturbed it enough it is not making contact.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks for the info Kit, I will look into it and let you know. I suspected a loose connection but thought I checked everything, I guess its time to disassemble and check again!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Kit,

I rechecked all the connectors associated with the ECM, used electronic cleaner and reassembled all. Still have the intermittent F1 lite with a code #11, the speedometer and directional problem still occurrs frequently. Is it possible I have a bad " Vehicle Speed Sensor " ? Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanx,

George
Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Well lets find out, the manual says that it can be the VS sensor or the actual meter. Or a short or ground in the wire at some point.

I do not remember if you can get to the wire for the VS sensor with the shelter off or not, in fact that was not even on my mind last time I helped change an air filter. in any event it is down low on the right hand side directly under the engine cover that covers the plugs, yep have to take all the lowers off to get to it.

It has a white wire with black stripe coming off it, check this through the VS sensor to ground, with the ignition off, if you get continuity, it is shorted out and you need a new one.

Page 6-34 Item 4 in the service manual, the Honda one. 06/08 manual.

If it tests good, will be time to test the meter panel.

Bear in mind it could be as simple as the pin connector leaving it, could have been disturbed at some point, or unplugged, check that too.

Also might just be a false code in the DTC, it takes a special tool to short out the connector and erase the memory.

Wire color may vary, but I doubt it, I am using a 06 Honda manual, do not have an 03 one but have found wire colors have stayed the same for the most part.

I honestly think it is a pin connector, I use a lot of common reasoning in things, so I look at it like this, it was fine before you went in and changed the air filter and all that, so something that occurred while doing this has caused the problem to surface. The VS sensor would not have went bad just by changing the air filter and unplugging and plugging up connectors. I have had to resort to a filed down meter pin on a tester and stick it into the connectors one leg at a time and check for continuity, I still think one of them is not making contact.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks again for the quick reply, I guess I will have to remove the shelter again and try the continuity testing of the connectors. I know what you mean about the VS having a problem after my changing the filter. I agree with your analysis but am getting frustrated with having to disassemble everthing again and again. I hate these intermittent problems, I cranked her up after cleaning the connectors while the shelter was off and the speedometer worked. After assembly and test ride, F1 lite, no speedometer and turn signal cancel again. After about five miles of riding and shutting down to check F1 indicator things worked again. Apparently something to do with warming up, once it works I can ride all day with no F1 lite or speedometer problem. Until she cools off and I try again. Then its speedometer fail and ultimately the F1 lite.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hope you got the reply to your latest comments, I want to add another symptom, I get a noticeable engine stumble just prior to the F1 lite coming on. As though there were an actual injector problem, but the only code I have received is the #11, one long and one short lite. Which according to the troubleshooting is a VS problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Actually what you are saying makes sense to me. If the VS sensor is shorted internally ti could very well be an erratic problem . Check the wiring through the sensor to ground with the ignition off and with the bike cold. If it shows continuity then it is defective.

I would check that for sure. Especially with the motor stumbling, as if true speed is not known or presented to the ECU it will effect the fuel delivery.

Kit
Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

I will check the wiring as you suggested, in the meantime do you know the Honda part number for a VS, I have looked at a couple of OEM suppliers and have not been able to locate a VS. Just curious about the price and availability.

Thanx again for your help,

George........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum