LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1999JagWing
Post imported post

Can anyone out there in wing land tell me the difference between the Hypoid Gear Oil specified in the maintenance manual and a full synthetic gear oil?

The reason i am asking is i use full synthetic 75-90 gear oil in my semi, and i have a few GALLONS of it and i am wondering if i can use it in the rear on the 99 1500se.

I would "prefer" to use full synthetic because i think it is better than "regular" oil, but i do not know what the word "HYPOID" means. Does anyone have an idea if i can use full synthetic in the scooter?

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

"Hypoid
Hypoid gear sets are a form of bevel gear, but offer improved efficiency and higher ratios over traditional straight bevel gears. Commonly found in axle differentials and used as the ring and pinion gears, hypoid gears are used to transmit power from the driveline to the axle shafts. Because of the spiral design and sliding action of Hypoid gears extreme pressure additives are required." (taken from the Amsoil site) My thinking is that if you're using "gear oil" of 80-90 weight, you shouldn't have any issues. But that is my opinion only, use at your own risk. However, that being said, I also run synthetic 80-90 gear oil in my differential. I change it every season.

Regards,

Hobie
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1999JagWing
Post imported post

Thanks Hobie1 and 1500winger.
I am going out right now and change out the 10 year old (i guess)oil and replace it with my full synthetic. I figure if it can hold up to the rigors of pulling 80,000 pounds for 11 hours at the time in all seasons, then it MIGHT be able to handle my fat azz for a few hours.

Man, i changed out the oil, and the stuff in the bike was almost BLACK. I guess it was the original stuff. At least i feel better knowing that the new full synthetic is in there.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

A few years ago, GM switched from 80w90 Hypoid Gear Oil to a full synthetic 75w80 in the rear diff, in doing so they dropped the fluid level about 3/4 of in an inch.
They were having problems with the pinion bearrings going out in cold weather on the front diffs of the 4X4 trucks and to fix that concern they had the dealers replace the 80w90 with 75w80 synthetic and this cured the concern.
I have been running synthetic in the front and rear diff of my ATV for about four years, improved the fuel milage a little and rolls out of camp in the cold mornings much easyer.
So I belive you should have no problems.
CT90&YAMAHA BIG BEAR, NOW 81 GL11OO
Shimmy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Big Cahuna Send a message via AIM to Big Cahuna Send a message via MSN to Big Cahuna Send a message via Yahoo to Big Cahuna
Post imported post

I think the biggest difference you'll find is the price. I bought a qt of 80/90 wt store brand gear oil at napa and it cost about $3. The Castrol synthetic gear oil was almost $14. so I felt the cheap stuff has worked for 27 years, why mess with success.,,
Bikes Ive owned, \'69 Norton,\'48 Harley panhead, \'71 Bsa, \'76 gl1000,\'93 Harley ultra,\'03 Harley ultra,\'05 Sportster, \'82 GW 1100.\'96 Police road king very used. "I tried thinking once, but nothing happened" .,,,
Big Cahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

What ever you do....DO NOT USE PENNZOIL there fully synth gear lube....it foams like crazy...have photos of it...! I use amsoil as a rule, but this time I was out of my beloved amsoil and went to pennzoil....BIG MISTAKE...! Lets see if I can post a photo of what came out...!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PENZ1.JPG (70.5 KB, 235 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

This is what I mistakenly used...never again...I just use whats left as a FLUSHING oil for the gear box...thats all...!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PENZ.JPG (88.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

It doesn't look right. Almost like it's got water in it. With the weight advertised, it should be thicker. Your Amsoil might of not liked the change.I wonder how it was still foamy coming out of the differential after sitting for a while.

I use synthetic 80-90w and it takes a while to drain.

Anyway, I'm not buying any of that stuff. Somethings not copacetic.

Hobie
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Now I bet a number of you are wondering how long this oil was in there....you want to trys about 5 minutes....! Let me explain this. When I do a oil change back there I use whats left of the PENNZOIL as a flushing oil to get what ever gear wear and so on particals are in there....to flush it out before I put the good stuff in.

Now to get the PENNZOIL to do this...all I had to do was drain the gear box...refill it with the pennzoil stuff....put the bike on the centre stand....start it and put it in 5th gear and let it run at a idle in most part for a few minutes. Then when I stopped the engine and climbed under...and removed the drain plug...this is what can out...nothing but FOAM...! I did the same with the amsoil...foam....what foam...there was nothing, just a hint of air bubbles in it showing that it was running....otherwise just good solid oil came out.....not soap suds...!

So on my last gear box oil change which was yesterday in fact...I used that crappy pennzoil as a gear box flush...and took photos of what comes out with just a few minutes of the bike running on the centre stand in gear.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't look right. Almost like it's got water in it. With the weight advertised, it should be thicker. Your Amsoil might of not liked the change.I wonder how it was still foamy coming out of the differential after sitting for a while.

I use synthetic 80-90w and it takes a while to drain.

Anyway, I'm not buying any of that stuff. Somethings not copacetic.

Hobie
Trust me there is NO water....in there what so ever. I have a new GL1800 and I have been doing oil changes in the rear unit ever 5,000 Km's during its break in so that the great bulk of the wear in particals are gotten outa there. Once the bike hits the 30,000 Km's point then it will be reduced to a oil change once a year...maybe once ever 2 years, depending on how many KM's I put on it in any given year. So far I have had the bike for just about 6 months now...and have put 22,000 on it since it was new. Gee can you tell I ride...just a little....

Clearly pennzoil in the GL1800's gear box does not work out....it foams like crazy and this is NOT good...!

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum