LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have a 2005 GL1800 and want to add some fog lamps for better visibility (easier to be seen) without blinding oncoming traffic with the high beams. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to get something to fit where the OEM lights would go. Anyone have any suggestions?
1997 GL1500SE
2005 GL1800 (current)
snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

snapshot wrote:
Quote:
I have a 2005 GL1800 and want to add some fog lamps for better visibility (easier to be seen) without blinding oncoming traffic with the high beams. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to get something to fit where the OEM lights would go. Anyone have any suggestions?
I recently installed Show Chrome lamps and so far they appear to do the job well while providing a good but required persuaded fit. Installation was relatively easy and did require some minor and unconventional tweaking to achieve a good fit. Overall a good product for the money. (I am finicky about a good fit so out of the box may be okay for others).
Bikefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

There are half a dozen makes out there, show chome, electrical connection, Kuryakyn, etc.

I will simply say I recently switched mine to the Honda Line lights, they cost more , but they do more. I can actually see with them. It is in the design of the reflector in the light.

None of them light up the road a whole lot, but the Honda ones so far I like the best.
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to budsbyugirl Send a message via Yahoo to budsbyugirl
Post imported post

My Hubby bought ours at Pep boys
Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

i installed the show chrome, disagree with some on visibility. these things stand out , they do the job well. they will need some fine tuning. i added shims to get them to fit better. put rubber door edge moldings around cowl openings. looks factory installed now.
kuryakyn footpegs and bar-riser.
taller windshield coming and J&M stuff.
truck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

I don't have a problem with any particular brand as long as they are good quality and reasonably reliable. Can you post a photo of your results?
1997 GL1500SE
2005 GL1800 (current)
snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 07 1800 "The Beast" 100K
Post imported post

truck41 wrote:
Quote:
i installed the show chrome, disagree with some on visibility. these things stand out , they do the job well. they will need some fine tuning. i added shims to get them to fit better. put rubber door edge moldings around cowl openings. looks factory installed now.
Thesee lights picked out the deer at the road side. Other lights may have done so too. Fog lights? I would like to find real yellow fog lights in this location. Blue or white lights highlight the water droplets too much. I see some truckers now using yellow headlights with lower fogs or other at gound level.

Still looking,

Longboater,

MORE TAIL WAGGING and less barking please.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way. (until the keys are taken away)

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Enjoying Florida, come-on-down
Longboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

CeeBailey offers amber colored foglight covers that attach to lens with velcro. I have them and people I ride with tell me I am very visible on the road. I don't ride much at night, so I can not say how well they do during dark hours.

My foglights are Hondaline LED's. Yes, they were more expensive but LED's have a long life (so I am told) and anticipate fewer bulb changes.
dave95sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Which ever lights you decide on, make sure they are plug and play. Makes for a neat installation. The PO of my bike put some on that were not P&P and the wiring is pretty messy. The on off switch is installed on the panel next to the r pocket key with double sided tape and the wire is exposed.
The LED ones sound like the way to go as you probably will never have to change the bulb.
IPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

I added a set of Princess Auto $30 lamps in my 1800. I used the holes in the engine heads to mount them, (same holes oem lights mount) and a flat plate to interface between the generic lamp mount and the oem holes. the plate has slots to allow centering the lights, horizontal slots for the bolts into the heads give left-right adjustment. Vertical slots for the bracket between the lamp and the plate, this adjusts vertical centering in the lower cowel. The spacers between the plate were made from stainless brake tubing slipped over the mounting bolts, and are different left to right as the spacing between the cowel and the cylinder head is closer on number 1 cylinder. The factory wiring can be used without modification by getting connectors from the local auto salvage yard. The connectors down by the lamps can be found on Honda cars, they come from the ABS sensor and are found in the engine compartment on the fender liner down by the wheel, and will be orange in color as ABS connectors are orange. While at the salvage yard look for suzuki/geo Metro/samuari cars, the ashtray lamp will yeild connectors used on the 1800 accessory power connectors. For the switch I found a nice compact dual unit at Princess Auto that mounted nicely with a little filing in the oem blank plate on the left fairing. The switch is SPDT on one side and momentary on the other, use a relay so as not to strain the factory wires. I used the momentary switch to operate my garage door opener which runs from the bike so the door cannot be opened with that opener without having a key in the bike.
Radionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum