Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIKE FRONT TIRE

24K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Rabbit 
#1 ·
imported post

WHAT IS THE BEST FRONT TIRE FOR GL1800 TRIKE?

#2 ·
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

I would use the same tire that was original when you got the trike.

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

#3 ·
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

#4 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum from sunny Southern Calfiornia. I use an E3. Nothing really special. I use the same size.

#6 ·
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The Michelin pilot activ 130/70-18 rear tire is a popular front tire for trikes. I have one on the front of my 2 wheel 1800 and love it, I'm on the second one now.
One BIG draw back about using the rear tire in the front ----- you want to go backwards a lot:cheeky1::cheeky1:

#7 ·
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
The Michelin pilot activ 130/70-18 rear tire is a popular front tire for trikes. I have one on the front of my 2 wheel 1800 and love it, I'm on the second one now.
One BIG draw back about using the rear tire in the front ----- you want to go backwards a lot:cheeky1::cheeky1:
No it just sends you back in time.:cheeky1:

#8 ·
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::dude::dude:

#12 ·
imported post

A round one would be a excellent choice. :tongue::tongue: But I agree with Dave. That one or the Metz Laser Tech.

I also would not install one backwards , not sure how that got started, or what rumor got that going.

But tires especially bias belted, are made with the ends of the belts laid in a manner it is best to do as the manufacturer says.

Besides it is hard to balance the bike going backwards, I know as I have tried.

Kit

#13 ·
imported post

Look at the tires the rotation arrow for front and back are the same. the point of arrow points to front of Bike. i promise Im not in business of selling tires,but I do care about ones Life and skin Please stop tuning tires around backwards.

#14 ·
imported post

Lightin wrote:
Look at the tires the rotation arrow for front and back are the same. the point of arrow points to front of Bike. i promise Im not in business of selling tires,but I do care about ones Life and skin Please stop tuning tires around backwards.
Aye, :clapper::clapper::clapper: I am a darksider and one of my arguments with my fellow riders is putting a tire on backwards.

Why?? Convince me!!

Sure it has been done.

So far no one has died.

A front tire it is rare to come apart........

But it is the front tire, and this boy will not tempt fate.

I have learned that if I drive enough nails I will sooner or later hit my thumb. That is pretty much a sure fact.

Kit

#15 ·
imported post

With the dramatic change in how the tire wears,on a trike, we "threedom" riders realize that we don't get the same milage out of our front tires as a two wheeler does. Our trikes "plow" into the corners cause we don't lean anymore.(Much anyway) I been pretty happy with E3 that was new on mine when I bought it. I wish the tire manufacturers would address this needed design change to accomodate trikes. It seems to be a pretty big market now, yet they still are dragging thier feet on this issue. Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you find! jimsjinx

#17 ·
imported post

I had forgotten about this. It is pretty pricey . Do not remember the manufacturer at the moment either. One big problem with a CT on the front of a Wing is the width of most tires. You would not be able to spread the forks enough to clear the tire.

But this is out there for the use of a CT on a Wing.

Kit

Attachments

#20 ·
imported post

Good morning form the High Desert
I have a 1994 1500 with a MotorTrike conversion. I tried several tires before going to the Avon Venom, I have over 15000 miles on this tire and looks like it will go 3000 or so more. I choose this tire because it had the highest load rating (720lbs) and was not directional and was designed for front end use, not like a rear tire designed for hard braking. I never felt comfortable using them. I believe you have a better selection of tires for your 1800 than for the 1500.
I installed E-Steer 3.5 degree rake which has taken some of the drag (push) off the front tire when turning, this may have helped my tire mileage.
The Mule

#21 ·
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
litfuse wrote:
Hope to see you at the Texas meet and greet April 8th to 12th in Llano tx.
This is the second time someone has spelled this Llano. Are you referring to Plano, or is there an actual place called Llano? If so, where is it? :stumped:

Sorry, don't mean to steal the thread, JC.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=llano+tx&sll=36.456636,-95.712891&sspn=40.905529,92.900391&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Llano,+Texas&ll=30.740065,-98.6483&spn=0.172624,0.362892&z=12

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.