LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

How do you remove a windshieldfrom a 1984 GoldWing Aspencade?

I just bought this bike. ---It has a broken windshiled. I have ordered a new one that should be arriving in a couple of days.

The problem is I don't have a clue as to how to take the Metal Shield Guard and the old broken windshield that fits behind itoff of the bike.--- Any help from anyone who knows how to do it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The Kokopelli Kid
Kokopelli Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

is the system broke, I just replyed to this, where did it go?
ChasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Bonsall., CA, Phx AZ, Ensenada, MX, California, USA
Post imported post

Take off your mirrors. (two screws each).

You may have to turn them "up" to get easy access to the screws.
Those four screws allow the windshield "garnish" to begin to tilt away from the windshield.

Tilt the top of the garnish away, and you'll see a clip holding it along the bottom. Pull the garnish straight up. (requires a bit of a tug).

The distance between "Impossible!" and "All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor" is about 10 drinks.
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1200
Garage
Post imported post

carefully pull the rubber boot of your mirrors and it will show two philips bolts that can be also undone using a 10MM socket, since its your first time, remove both bolts and take the mirrors off.. then using a flat screwdriver wrapped in a rag or something soft, put it between the headlamp and the windshield metal guard, pull UP and it will release, take the metal guard off and it will show 4 philips screws that secure your windshield.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

ChasW wrote:
Quote:
is the system broke, I just replyed to this, where did it go?
I noticed that the time of your reply coincides with the time the server does some daily maintenance.

When you post a reply, be patient until the server replies to you. If you abandon that page, the post will not be registered.

For me, the maintenance occurs at Phoenix/Mesa time: 10:00 to 10:10 each evening

And the server is usually "offline" for about ten minutes.

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoopdc
Post imported post

Kokopelli Kid wrote:
Quote:

I just bought this bike. ---It has a broken windshiled. I have ordered a new one that should be arriving in a couple of days.

The problem is I don't have a clue as to how to take the Metal Shield Guard and the old broken windshield that fits behind itoff of the bike.--- Any help from anyone who knows how to do it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The Kokopelli Kid
It's WAY easier than you may think. Bend all that rubber around each mirror back. Go ahead !! BEND !!! It won't break, rip, etc. You'll see some screws in there. Take all of them out on each side. I think there are 4 on each side. Whatever the amount, take all of them out.

That'll free up the metal guard under the wind shield. Not sure about your particular year.............you may have to either just lift the metal guard off or slide it off. If it does slide, I don't remember whichway. ( To the right or to the left. )

Once that is done, the same goes for the windshield. The screws for the windshield will be just as obvious, but be more careful when removing them. There are probably 5 large screws to remove. Before removing, TAKE NOTE of their placement in their respective slots. High or low in the slot. It'll help when placing the new windshield in.

The old windshield will also probably slide out of some slots. Again, don't remember in which direction ( to the right or left ) it'll slide out.

If the old windshield has been there a very, very long time, it may take a little "persuasion" before it starts to slide out.

Good luck. Hey, if I did it, anyone can. Just take your time.

Dennis

Old 08-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

To everybody who responded to me---- Thanks a ton.--- Knowledge is a POWERFUL thing, and obviously I don't have any as it pertains to this antique GoldWing I just bought. Everything I have owned up to now has been an HD, but this old Honda was just too pretty to pass up!---- Unfortunately, what I know about Honda GoldWings I can put into a thimble and pour water in behind it.---I'm sure I'm going to have a lot more stupid questions over the next several months.--- Again, thanks for the reponse. It is appreciated!

The Kokopelli Kid
Kokopelli Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

WELCOME FROM OHIO

The knowledge gained here is valuable. All you have to do is ask.

Traveling fork rebuilding and motorcycle delivery available.

Fork seal tutorial http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/72576.html

86 GL1200 Aspencade
scotthohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

Seems like you've gotten the help you need so I'll just say ... Welcome.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Kokopelli Kid wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,

The Kokopelli Kid
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum