LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 80 GL1100, 08 GL1800
Post imported post

I got home last night and put the 1500 in the garage. Pulled my bag out of the trunk and noticed antifreeze on the floor. I turned the ignition switch back on to see if it was overheating and it was about half way on the gauge. I did notice that the fans were not on. At what temp do they come on? Is there an overflow tube that comes out somewhere? It seemed to be coming out of the lower center valance between it and the Tulsa belly pan. This morning it doesn't seem to be leaking!? I'm confused !
Does anyone have an idea where I should start? I've put about 5000 miles on this since April when I purchased it and this is the first time it has leaked. It didn't seem to be hot and it runs about half way or a little below even in 90+ degree weather.
Thanks
Bill
Ogrebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

I do not know much of anything about the 1500, but in general, the radiator has an overflow where you add coolant at, and it could be leaking there. If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the oil, and make sure there isn't a head gasket about to blow. (Coolant in the oil) Does it bubble up in the overflow? This is a sure sign there is a start of a head gasket problem. If not, just keep your fluid level checked, and add another 5,000 miles!
Good Luck!
Nightrider1
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Irish Crew

Goldwing Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Check the water pump weep hole unde the belly panel, also the radiator hose clamps.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Quote:
Check the water pump weep hole unde the belly panel, also the radiator hose clamps.
Yeah, what he said.

Plus, make sure it's not coming from the cap.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

While we're on the subject..what type or brand of anti-freeze do we use for a replacement mine is a 1200.
Gene
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: None at present
Post imported post

For a Goldwing any antifreeze without silicates is the stuff to use. Silicates will eventually damage the water pump seal. Prestone Extended Life 50/150 is one, Honda's antifreeze is another, and Peak Extended Life is silicate free. If you have a brand you favor check it out on it's manufacturer's website to see if it's silicate free.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Postpubescent member

Goldwing Model: None at present
Post imported post

Ogrebro, one common intermittent source of small coolant leaks is the plumbing around the expansion tank. The grommet that holds the fitting and the hose between the radiator neck and the tank can harden with age and heat and begin to leak. Also as already mentioned the weep hole in the water pump on the bottom front of the engine may begin to leak if it's seal is failing. On the 1500 there are also several hoses around the top of the engine and the carbs that carry coolant to heat the carbs which can get hard and cracked after enough years to cause a leak. I've had an intermittent smell of coolant in my bike for the past couple of years now. Not much if any measurable coolant lost just enough to smell or once in a while on a cold, still morning I can see a wisp of steam come up by the handlebars while the bike's warming up. I've hunted for that stupid leak more than once and haven't been able to find it.
Paul W.
exavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 275,000 miles
Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
Ogrebro, one common intermittent source of small coolant leaks is the plumbing around the expansion tank. The grommet that holds the fitting and the hose between the radiator neck and the tank can harden with age and heat and begin to leak. Also as already mentioned the weep hole in the water pump on the bottom front of the engine may begin to leak if it's seal is failing. On the 1500 there are also several hoses around the top of the engine and the carbs that carry coolant to heat the carbs which can get hard and cracked after enough years to cause a leak. I've had an intermittent smell of coolant in my bike for the past couple of years now. Not much if any measurable coolant lost just enough to smell or once in a while on a cold, still morning I can see a wisp of steam come up by the handlebars while the bike's warming up. I've hunted for that stupid leak more than once and haven't been able to find it.
Similar symptoms on mine turned out to be the cap. Didn't find it until it got bad enough to run down the tank and drip. On the opposite side of the tank.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks guys. I'll pull the front wrap and look at all the hoses and the water pump weep hole tomorrow. Planing a 300 mile run on Sunday and a run up and down the coast on the 19th so hope I can find this and stop it. I hate to be thinking about a breakdown instead of enjoying the ride!
Thanks Again!!
Bill
Old 09-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Well I pulled the front wrap an checked out hoses, water pump and made sure everything was tight. I can't see any place it's leaked. I'm thinking that it may have come from the overflow tank. I think it may be a little over full and pushed some out. I feel like I can go riding tomorrow and not worry.
I really appreciate all the advice and help! Thanks!!!
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum