LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

The shock absorber is shot on my wing and i have got a new one off a bike that has been triked, my question is: The Honda manual says it should be changed as an assembly complete with the hyd valve, the one i have has no valve just a hyd line is there any way of charging the system back up? as the manual does not give any instructions on how to do this.

Great site Spav
SPAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

You may not have to do anything but connect the hose from your hydraulic unit to the shock but it would probably be a good idea to refill the oil in the actuator. This link will tell you what you need to know to do that.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/rearshock
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Major Enthusiast

Goldwing Model: GL1800 '03 Stream Silver
Post imported post

Spav, the 1800 has a preload adjustor. Is that what you are talking about? Is the shock assembled with the spring? The preload adjustor is at the top, and the hydrulic line goes off to the motor / pump that mounts on the right, kind of under the saddlebag.

If your new shock is not completely assembled with the preload adjustor, you will need a shock compressor tool to put the spring & preload adjustor on. Even if it is, you should probably disassemble it and service the adjustor. Honda kind of under fills them, and they don't sart actually adjusting until you hit 5 - 10 on the meter. You can tell by putting gthe bike on the centerstand, running the preload to zero, then moving it up. You'll be able to hear a change in tone as the pump stops compressing air and starts actually moving the piston.
If you have the shock with the adjustor, but just the line that goes to the pump, you need to fill it, also. We use fork oil to fill it when we are replacing shocks.

Dave
rocketmoto.com

<edit for typo>
Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
Dandy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thats a good informative post Dave, thanks.

Lucky Eddie.
GWEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

thanks Guys the maintenance clips and the information is just what I needed as I have the shock complete I will just have to top the lines up with oil.
Thanks once again just shows how good the GW community is
spav
SPAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Major Enthusiast

Goldwing Model: GL1800 '03 Stream Silver
Post imported post

Here's an article from Fred on rear shock replacement.. down near the bottom he addresses the preload adjustor.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/rearshock

Dave

rocketmoto.com

Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
Dandy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum