LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

As a new member I've looked at the posts on this topic but have not found my answer. The cruise control on my 1992 GL1500 SE will come on but won't set at any speed. I've checked all the switches and they seem to be ok. I replaced the sending unit behind the speedometer but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Most common fault is the levers ,ie clutch or brake lever .There are micro switches on them for the cruise and either the owners replace the original levers with chrome ones or the original levers wear and do not operate the micro switches ,Check the levers and the rear foot brake .. Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Post imported post

I recently found my foot brake was preventing mine from setting. I have floorboards and the way my foot was resting against it was the cause. Make sure you push out on the hand brake and use your toe to lift up on the foot brake and see if it sets for you before you do anything else.

Like ol\' Hank said, a cntryboy can survive!!

Patriot Guard #169835

in the cage

on the bike

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

If it's not the switches it is probably a bad vacuum line to the actuator.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Post imported post

left clutch lever might need a tube spacer...left switch needs to be normally open and you can use a piece of fuel line and slip it on the post to hold it open

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

When you say the cruise control comes on I assume you mean the cruise on light illuminates but the 'Set' light doesn't. There's another switch involved with the cruise control, it's the throttle shut off switch. It's located down by the carbs where the throttle cables attach. All told counting the clutch switch, front brake switch, rear brake switch and the throttle switch there are four switches that have to work properly for the cruise to be set. If all those are working right then the problem could be in the wiring to the ECU which is the brains of the outfit. I don't think a broken vacuum line or bad vacuum control solenoids would cause this problem. If it was caused by those two failures I believe the 'Set' light would still light up even though the cruise control would still fail to work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
When you say the cruise control comes on I assume you mean the cruise on light illuminates but the 'Set' light doesn't. There's another switch involved with the cruise control, it's the throttle shut off switch. It's located down by the carbs where the throttle cables attach. All told counting the clutch switch, front brake switch, rear brake switch and the throttle switch there are four switches that have to work properly for the cruise to be set. If all those are working right then the problem could be in the wiring to the ECU which is the brains of the outfit. I don't think a broken vacuum line or bad vacuum control solenoids would cause this problem. If it was caused by those two failures I believe the 'Set' light would still light up even though the cruise control would still fail to work.
You are correct.

Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
Bright lights, protective gear and paying attention saves lives. Loud pipes just annoy the people behind you.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. Some of the suggestions I've tried, but other suggestions I hadn't considered or had not tried. Thank you again.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

There is 1 Micro switch that works off the foot break that's way down by the lower frame and exhaust pipe on that side.. It's hard to see let o lone get to.. There are only 2 screws that hold it in place.. If they just come lose it will keep the cruise from setting...

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank you Foodman....that is another suggestion that I will try.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page