Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple tree GL1200Sei

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  sidecarjoe 
#1 ·
imported post

I have an 86 SEi that has a MotorTrike conversion on it and was wondering, after doing a lot of reading on here, if another year of goldwing triple tree would have a bit more rake on it and be able to used on mine. The cost of an after market one nearly gave the wife a scare.

Thanks in advance for any info!

#2 ·
imported post

I thought the rake of the front end was more a function of the neck of the frame, rather than the triple tree that goes through it.

#3 ·
imported post

Scooter 7 wrote:
I thought the rake of the front end was more a function of the neck of the frame, rather than the triple tree that goes through it.
As I understand it, the rake can be changed via the triple tree. The reason I ask is because when riding a trike the steering is a good bit harder than normal and I was under the impression that by a small amount of change in the rake would make the steering easier.

I don't want the "Arnold Schwarzenegger" look from making all those turns from riding up here in the hills:cheesygrin:

#4 ·
imported post

i dropped the back of my 1200 trike project down to compensate for that. it steers much easier. i'm not sure they make an easy steer for the 1200. i haven't found one yet. they may make just an aftermarket triple tree that will work. i'll help you look.

i know it is a lot of work but you can cut the neck loose and kick it out at the bottom some. lots of work but it will work and is really cheap to do.

i've done it before and worked good. you can also take your tree to a good welding shop and have them kick it out at the bottom some.

#6 ·
imported post

I have a 1994 1500 with a MotorTrike conversion, for the first few years I thought I would twist the bars off, when riding in the mountains. I purchase a EZ-Steer from Champion Sidecars (Kit #A-EZS-H00-001) and it was a little over a $1000.00. It took over a year to save for it, but worth every penny. There are several rake degrees, I choose the least 3.5 degrees. If I remember they go to 6.5 degrees which make it really easy to steer, but they have a tendency to wobble at high speeds. I rode to Canada twice and loved every mile.

#8 ·
imported post

Rob The Hillbilly, Im in search of the same thing For my 94Gl 1500AIf I find them at a more affordable Price. Ifhave them for the 1200 Ill Let you Know.

#10 ·
imported post

Since being triked it has changed the steering geometry a bit and does make it some what more of a challenge to steer on some of the roads I like to ride (US421 "The Snake"). I was alwawys under the impression that by changing the rake a few degrees it would improve the steering, but I can't see paying $700-$1,000 for a triple tree to do it.

Guess I'll have to go for the pumped up forearm look:weightlifter: :cheesygrin:

Glad the rotor is working for you Dennis, still got the swing arm and drive shaft, brake caliper, air shocks and pumpkin if you know anyone needing them.

#11 ·
imported post

hi , i know the feeling of those tired arms , you only realy get a break on duel caridgeways and motorways, , ive had a few trikes now and there all the same , heavey on the front end! , i have not tryed one with leading links or one with the rake altered, :)

#12 ·
imported post

I just went out and looked a lower triple tree on one of the 1200 parts bikes I have. Modifying the rake looks fairy doable. It would probably be best done with a new CNC'd triple tree. Give me a few days to a week and I will see what I can come up with. In the mean time it would help to know how many people would be interested.

Steve

#14 ·
imported post

I would be intersted in a 3.5for Gl 1500

#15 ·
imported post

i would for the 1200 and the 1500.

#17 ·
imported post

I'd be really interested and my arms would thank you very much!:cheesygrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.