Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona City, Arizona, USA
How to install the J and M Digital Music Player JMDM-GL18 on the GL1800.
I will give a little insight since my experience of originally installing the J and M Electronic Digital Music Player JMDM-GL18.
First of all -- PREPARE ahead of time.
1. Get a spray bottle of contact cleaner from a local electronics or hardware store to begin with.
2. Buy a SD card (at least 4 gig) and install music on it. This is much preferable over a thumb drive.
3. Thumb drives will work, but because of the complexity of the directories in thumb drives they are very slow to react when starting up.
4. The unit is designed in the fashion of the CD player. Thus the root directory of the player is a CD (or CD1 as will be displayed on your board).
5. The machine reads in order, so load all the songs (you can load up to 99) on the root directory of the SD card or thumb drive prior to adding the next 9 directories. DO NOT put a directory on the card first; put the songs you really want to hear most of the time on the root first. Each directory can hold 99 songs.
6. Once you have all of this done, start the installation.
a. Shut off your radio while it is on FM.
b. Disconnect your battery.
7. Remove the passenger grips on each side so you can remove the seat.
8. You may have to open the trunk as you have to lift the back of the seat and slide it backward to release it from the front clip. So when putting it back make sure you slide it under the clip. Be careful that the rubber grommets on each side of the seat do not fall out. You might want to put some tape around them to keep them in place when re-installing the trunk.
9. The instructions in the box about placing the player are pretty straight forward.
10. I repeat this: Before making the electronic connections from the unit DISCONNECT the BATTERY.
11. The plug is under the cross beam about in the middle of where the seat is.
12. Clean the plug thoroughly with the electronic cleaner and let dry a minute or two then plug in the cord. Make sure you run your cords under the frame brackets as instructed by J and M.
13. After all the installation, as instructed by J and M, insert a SD card you pre-loaded.
14. Re-connect the battery (and set your clock and any other time devices you have pre-installed).
15. Turn on the radio and after it starts on FM press CD.
16. You can control volume and directories (but directories will display as CD's). See instructions from J and M about the volume and CD and song switching.
17. When you are going to shut down the cycle or shut off the radio, go to FM first then shut down. There is a relay in the player and it can sometimes make a loud snap. In my original installation I had to hit the reset button a couple of times, especially using a thumb drive, to get it to come back up. Preferably, as I mentioned, use a SD card instead of a thumb drive.
18. If you use a thumb drive it may take the unit a while to get through the thumb drives complex directory system before the unit will start playing. Don’t get jumpy thinking something is wrong, give it time to come up. I have a Sony unit in my car that uses a thumb drive and there is almost a 30 second delay with it when I have a thumb drive inserted. So the best bet is to use a SD Card on the J and M player. SD cards are almost instantaneous.
19. Then enjoy. The unit is well worth the small investment.