LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I purchased a Digital Music System from J&M (JMDM-GL18). Installed it and went to test it. At first I could not get it to play the music through the CD player as it should. Partially my fault for not having it over on speaker sidewhen I parked it last fall. I did get it working. Everything was fine until I tried to shut off the Audio button on the 1800's radio system (tank). Nothing happened.I couldn't getthe music playerstopped, it kept palying. Finally set inginition switch from ACC back to OFF. Music unit kept playing, like something had happened and the current to the player was still going and driving the music through the speakers. Finally had to unplug it to stop it. Now when Iturn the ley I get a really loud electicalcracklethrough the speakers one time then silence, but none of the audio turns on like it should (pushing AUDIO or anything else). Checked the fuse, it is OK (pulled it and it did kill the system and then put it back in). It sounds like a relay is stuck somewhere. The Music Player causes a loud click when I have it plugged in that happens every 1-2 seconds, like a relay is stuck. The unit has a reset button on it, so pressed it and red light went out on it, but click still continues. Could not get it to play music again nor will audio system fire up on the panel. Has anyone installed one and had problems. Will call J&M monday, but would like to get my audio back if anyone knows how to reset it. Thanks, Bill
Bill1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

You have to press the CD button to get it to work , the audio button will either put it on the speakers or through the headsets ..or off.

To switch it off try pressing the aux or one of the radio buttons .
Old 02-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Perahps I did not really clarify. I did press the CD button and it started palying. All was good, but when I went to shut down the Audio (pressing that button) nothing happened, not would it switch over to FM, etc. Finally shut bike off. The music unit continued to play even with the iginition switch in the off position. It is like the elctic current is staying live to the unit and it kept right on running. After I hit that rest button it has never come back on, but neither can I get the audio systme to fire up. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Look at your dash display and hold down the audio button and see does the dash display change , you may have the audio on headset instead of spk.. also press the fm button ,.

Try disconnecting the music player and reconnecting it ,just in case it was not seated properly into the connections .

Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Wexy, sometimes it takes simply discussing a problem with someone else. It dawned on me that if a relay was engaged somewhere in the system and still passing a current I would need to disconnect the battery and then back to live. So after I answered you I went out and did just that. That did the trick. I left the music player disconnected when I did it and the audio system came on. I then disconnected the battery again, connected the player, back to live and everything is working. I thank you for the reply. It got my noggin' thinking. Bill
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Well done Bill .great to see you got it sorted so fast ,, Ciaran
Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Anyone who might read this prior to installing one of those J&M Music Players, should consider disconnecting the battery first then connecting up the unit, then re-connecting the battery. Might save some headaches. Thanks again Ciaran. Bill
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Goldwing Model: 1991 ST1100
Garage
Post imported post

As an electronic technician my whole life, I learned a long time ago to remove ALL power before working on the electricals.

Weird things can happen, and bad things can happen, and sometimes you let ALL of the Good Smoke out of the system. Once that happens, you really get annoyed, because once the Good Smoke is gone, nothing works.

Forum Index
Get your own Bookmarks.
easy peasy

http://tiny.cc/kd69bx___
AZgl1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

How to install the J and M Digital Music Player JMDM-GL18 on the GL1800.
I will give a little insight since my experience of originally installing the J and M Electronic Digital Music Player JMDM-GL18.
First of all -- PREPARE ahead of time.
1. Get a spray bottle of contact cleaner from a local electronics or hardware store to begin with.
2. Buy a SD card (at least 4 gig) and install music on it. This is much preferable over a thumb drive.
3. Thumb drives will work, but because of the complexity of the directories in thumb drives they are very slow to react when starting up.
4. The unit is designed in the fashion of the CD player. Thus the root directory of the player is a CD (or CD1 as will be displayed on your board).
5. The machine reads in order, so load all the songs (you can load up to 99) on the root directory of the SD card or thumb drive prior to adding the next 9 directories. DO NOT put a directory on the card first; put the songs you really want to hear most of the time on the root first. Each directory can hold 99 songs.
6. Once you have all of this done, start the installation.
a. Shut off your radio while it is on FM.
b. Disconnect your battery.
7. Remove the passenger grips on each side so you can remove the seat.
8. You may have to open the trunk as you have to lift the back of the seat and slide it backward to release it from the front clip. So when putting it back make sure you slide it under the clip. Be careful that the rubber grommets on each side of the seat do not fall out. You might want to put some tape around them to keep them in place when re-installing the trunk.
9. The instructions in the box about placing the player are pretty straight forward.
10. I repeat this: Before making the electronic connections from the unit DISCONNECT the BATTERY.
11. The plug is under the cross beam about in the middle of where the seat is.
12. Clean the plug thoroughly with the electronic cleaner and let dry a minute or two then plug in the cord. Make sure you run your cords under the frame brackets as instructed by J and M.
13. After all the installation, as instructed by J and M, insert a SD card you pre-loaded.
14. Re-connect the battery (and set your clock and any other time devices you have pre-installed).
15. Turn on the radio and after it starts on FM press CD.
16. You can control volume and directories (but directories will display as CD's). See instructions from J and M about the volume and CD and song switching.
17. When you are going to shut down the cycle or shut off the radio, go to FM first then shut down. There is a relay in the player and it can sometimes make a loud snap. In my original installation I had to hit the reset button a couple of times, especially using a thumb drive, to get it to come back up. Preferably, as I mentioned, use a SD card instead of a thumb drive.
18. If you use a thumb drive it may take the unit a while to get through the thumb drives complex directory system before the unit will start playing. Don’t get jumpy thinking something is wrong, give it time to come up. I have a Sony unit in my car that uses a thumb drive and there is almost a 30 second delay with it when I have a thumb drive inserted. So the best bet is to use a SD Card on the J and M player. SD cards are almost instantaneous.
19. Then enjoy. The unit is well worth the small investment.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hey Bill, I'm having same problems but did get my audio back on by leaving jm player diconnected and disconnecting the negative on battery and reconnecting. Hope this helps

ldmojo
ldmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum