LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

My son was given a (project) 1981 GL 1100, has not ran in 8 yrs. He is 18 yrs. old and can't wait to get it going. The gas tank is rust free but am wanting to know how to turn engine over by hand for first time? I always hear of people talking about turning engine over by hand, how is this done?

Thanks
ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Take the spark plugs out. The stator is located on the left side of the bike. Take the small cover off, rotate with a wrench. IIRC it's clockwise, but wait for the other guys to confirm.
chris in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

Put it in 5th gear and turn the bike tire. On center stand preferably or just walk the bike forward.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

goldwing randy wrote:
Quote:
Put it in 5th gear and turn the bike tire. On center stand preferably or just walk the bike forward.
this is what i do.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have tried putting bike in 5th gear with plugs out on center stand and can't get it to turn over. If it is seized what would be the next step, or would this be a good place to stop and keep it for parts? It was a runner when parked years ago.

Thanks...I love this forum!
ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

I am going to assume that it will roll in neutral, to eliminate froze up brakes or differental. You can try to fill up cylinders with something like ATF. Let it sit for few days and try again. I have heard of people doing that but I dont know about reliability if you do get it running.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

If it has seized from sitting, it can still be a good runner. you can pour penetrating oil , diesel, furnace oil etc into all 4 cylinders & let it sit for a day or 2. than start gently rocking it to break it free. You don't want to go too hard on it though.
Worst case scenario, you pull the heads, put a piece of wood over 1 piston at a time & start smacking them to break them free.
We will take it from that point!
Keep us posted!
Wayne.
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 4-Cylinder GL's
Post imported post

As stated, pull the plugs and use a light oil...

I would use PB Blaster and let it sit undisturbed for up to a week (undisturbed, except to top it off each day if needed). Let the chemical do its thing.

While your at it, load the carbs full of MMO or SeaFoam and let that sit too. Won't hurt, may need it anyway.

Change-out coolant, flush brakes, etc...

Plenty to do in the mean-time.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

The plug for the stator is on the rear of the engine on the left side. Turn the bolt in the direction you would to tighten it. righty, tighty -- you know. You don't want to turn it such that it would loosen. That bolt coming loose has done some not so insignificant damage to the cover.

If the engine is frozen it can be freed up and with proper treatment and care it will still run a long time. Usually the rings rust and stick to the cylinder wall. Sometimes the entire cylinder is rusty which means there will be even more rust to get rid of. Theoretically most of it will go out the exhaust but some will get in the oil where is can do damage to bearings and cam shafts. lots of flushing of the cylinders and very frequent oil changes should take care of it.

Let us know what you find,

Lyle
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rod

Post imported post

I have a question just how do you load the carbs with mmo and or seafoam I have a problem and could use that info thanks in advance
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum