Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL 1100 valve noise

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  the goldwing rebel 
#1 ·
imported post

Howdy folks. I just purchased an '83 Aspencade that has been sitting up since about '05. It runs but the valves are a bit noisy. Do these bikes have hydraulic lifters? Hopefully the valves will quieten down after the engine has run a while? Thanks in advance for the help. COOL FORUM!

Pat

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

The 1100 will have adjustable valves. Lock nut and screw type. Hydraulic valves didn`t come along till the 1200. I never could get the valves in my old `83 Aspencade to quiet down like the 1500s do. I thnk there was a side to side slop in the rocker arms that caused a lot of the noise.
How does it run and stop otherwise? Change the cam belts if you don`t know how old they are. Change out brake and clutch fluid also if that hasn`t been done in awhile.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

#3 ·
imported post

Hi GWRebel and welcome to the forum from Texas. Congratulations on your new ride. The '83 like all 1100's has solid lifters, hydraulics didn't come out until '84 with the introduction of the 1200. If the noise you are hearing is from the lifters, then you can likely eliminate it with a proper adjustment. This is not difficult and complete instructions are in the Honda Service Manual. If you need any help, this forum has folks all over the world and someone has seen any problem you may be having with the 1100.

#4 ·
imported post

Thanks Tom! It's hard to answer your question because I haven't been able to ride it yet and won't until I track down a rectifier, fuel pump, and resolve my front brake issues. Amazingly the bike idles well even though thefuel pump leaks. I'll update as the project progresses.

God Bless,

Pat

#8 ·
imported post

my valves clatter ive adjusted them but they run a bit clattery a few of my riding buddies have 1100's or have had one or two and they say they have always made a little noise you can hear all the time they said they got 1500's and no more noise lol

#9 ·
imported post

yep. I was drooling over some very nice 1500s at the shop where I got my new used parts. They rebuild wrecks and do a GREAT job. If anyone in North Alabama needs parts for their Wing I highly recommend Scant City Cycle. Thanks for sharing your experience. Now I won't worry about a little noise.

#12 ·
imported post

You'll find the 1100's are very noisy and 'rattly' even after a good synch and valve adjustment. Just the nature of the beast.

I'm frankly surprised it runs after 5 years in storage. Mine sat in a field for that long and the carbs were jammed with old gas and sediment. Sounded like the rods were knocking!

One thing not mentioned yet, get rid of that 'dogbone' main fuse. Autozone has a cheap blade fuse kit you wire in it's place. Doesn't take long, peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.