LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

I have a GL1800 2002 and sind a few days is the reverse light flashing, some time"s the motor even won't start .The switch and the relaisseems ok.anyone familiar with this problem please send me a note or selousion

Jan,

Netherlands
dearwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Arkansas Ridgerunner

Goldwing Model: GL1800 GL1100
Garage
Post imported post

I have not personally had to work on the 1800 reverse system but you will need a manual. Here is a sample of the troubleshooting.
2. Reverse Indicator Operation Inspection
Check that the reverse indicator is blinking.
Does the reverse indicator blink?
NO – GO TO STEP 10.
YES – GO TO STEP 3.
3. Reverse Shift Relay Inspection
Check the reverse shift relay system (page 19-34).
Does the reverse shift relay system test OK?
NO – Faulty reverse shift relay(s) or related circuit.
YES – GO TO STEP 4.
4. Reverse Shift Relay 1 Coil Control Line Voltage Inspection
Check the reverse shift relay 1 coil (No. 40) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is battery voltage present when tested as described?
NO – Open circuit in the Blue/black wire between the control module and reverse shift relay 1.
YES – GO TO STEP 5.
5. Reverse Shift Relay 2 Coil Voltage/Control Line Continuity Inspection
Check the reverse shift relay 2 coil (No. 34) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is continuity correct?
NO – • Open circuit in the Blue/white wire between the control module and reverse shift relay 2.
• Open circuit in the Red wire between reverse shift relays 1 and 2.
YES – GO TO STEP 6.
6. Reverse Shift Relay 3 Coil Control Line Continuity Inspection
Check the reverse shift relay 3 coil (No. 27) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is continuity correct?
NO – Short circuit in the Yellow/white wire between the control module and reverse shift relay 3.
YES – GO TO STEP 7.
7. Reverse Actuator/Shift Relay Ground Line Continuity Inspection
Check the reverse shift motor (+) (No. 1) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is there continuity?
NO – Open circuit in the Pink wire between the control module and reverse shift relay 3.
YES – GO TO STEP 8.
8. Reverse Shift Motor Ground Line Continuity Inspection
Check the reverse shift motor (–) (No. 8) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is there continuity?
NO – Open circuit in the Green wire between the control module and ground terminal.
YES – GO TO STEP 9.
9. Reverse Shift Actuator Motor Inspection
Check the reverse shift actuator (page 19-36)
Does the reverse shift actuator test OK?
NO – Faulty reverse shift actuator motor and related circuits.
YES – Faulty cruise/reverse control module.
10. Gear Position Neutral Line Continuity Inspection
Check the gear position (neutral) sensor (No. 47) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module
(page 19-39).
Is there continuity?
NO – Open circuit in the Light green/red wire between the control module and gear position sensor.
YES – GO TO STEP 11.
11. Reverse Shift Switch Line Voltage Inspection
Check the reverse shift switch (No. 23) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is battery voltage present?
NO – • Open circuit in the Yellow/white wire between the control module and right handlebar
switch.
• Faulty right handlebar switch (reverse shift switch).
YES – GO TO STEP 12.
12. Cruise/Reverse Control Module Ground Line Continuity Inspection
Check the ground (No. 20 and 52) circuits at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is there continuity?
NO – Open circuit in the Green wire between the control module and ground terminal.
YES – Faulty cruise/reverse control module.
Darksider #304 the force is strong in this one.
NRA endowment life member
I am doing the best I can so don't give me any crap.
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow
2004 KLR650
DaveO430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

A couple things can cause that.

Most likely the cable system is out of adjustment. To know that for sure you have to work on it while the light is flashing. Remove some tupperware and turn the system manually till the light stops blinking and then adjust the system to the indicator marks .

On occasion the wire to the internal reverse indicator comes loose, that is the brass stud under the rubber cover on the side of the engine, above the oil fill. Be careful with that, hand tight and just a bit only.

Or the reverse/cruise actuator could have a dirty or loose connector or even a bad assembly with a burned out diode, but not likely as your is erratic. So I bet on the cable system being out of adjustment.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: 2007 Gl1800 HPN
Post imported post

Could also be intermittent short of the contacts in the RVS "push-push" switch. (Lower left switch on the right cluster.) This switch 1. activates the reverse system 2. lights the reverse light 3.changes the starter button function to the reverse function , disabling his ability to start
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

OK, Bad Karma on me for sticking my nose in? Was out for a ride, two up, 5th gear, all well when I look down and notice the reverse light blinking at me. Just stinkin' blinkin'..out of nowhere! Continued to blink until I stopped and put her in neutral...any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

Does it still do it. Once you got home and now start the bike does it continue to do this. ??

Mine did it today too. ..AAARRRGG!!! I gave my bike a bath. Somehow water got into the reverse switch. Blew it out with compressed air and all was well.

But yours sounds like related to the reverse/cruise actuator as even if you push the reverse switch in at speed, it locks out and does not blink. So I would first suspect the reverse cruise control actuator.

Kit
The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

Light stopped flashing the instant I dropped into neutral. As I rolled to a stop I began a quick series of tests to get an image in my mind. In gear, push starter switch, the headlights dimmed as would be expected..but light continued to flash. Clutch in...still flashed. Reverse switch in & out...flashing. Was a momentary failure noted only by me happening to look down to see the light misbehaving and hasn't repeated. Most perplexing. Am checking the manual right now but is a bit difficult to wade thru it all.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

Intermittent things are but a guess. So replace reverse relay number one. That is the one that controls and links all the safety switches such as clutch, side stand , and the reverse switch . Replace that, in case it is going defective.

Under the right side cover above and back a bit from the brake master is a rubber covered connector. Some call it a ground, it is not, that is the reverse switch. Just by hand check to make sure the wire is tight. No do not make it tighter, easy to snap off the stud.

Then if it still acts up, on to the next thing.

Kit
Kit
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

Thanks. Your input is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Every body thanks for the suggestions, going to take her to the shop for repair.
Have no place to work on, accept just in the frontyard without a roof

regards Jan
dearwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum