LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hi, wonder if anyone out there could she some light on a problem I am having with my rear brake caliper.

Went to change the rear brake pads, boy did I have a problem getting the caliper off the bike, I thought at first the pistons had seized up as I could not get them to retract, anyway got as far as getting the caliper off the bike, changed the pads but for the life of me I can't get it back on with the new pads in place.

I cleaned up the pistons, now if I use a g clamp on one piston it goes in no problem, the other one comes forward, swapping over the clamp I can do the same with the other one now coming forward, if I get both pitons just about the same level and use the g'clamp to push them both back at the same time I get absoloutly nothing, rock solid, I could slacken the bleed nipple I suppose and push them both back but don't now if I would end up with the same problem only this time with the caliper back on the bike.

I marked both piston with a marker pen as a level guide, both can be pushed back to the same positon, both marks level with each other and no further, at least not far enough to let me get the caliper on with the new pads in place, is there something I am missing.

A further question what is the allen key at the side of the caliper for?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
frankiemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

Doesn't sound like the fluid is returning back through the master cylinder to the reservoir. May be time to rebuild and clean up your master cylinder. If you did get the brakes on my guess they would not release and cause you problems.

I'm not sure what the allen key is (allen head bolt?).

jwhitmore44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post imported post

I agree, your oil is not able to return to the master cylinder. I think you must sort that out first!
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

My guess is that if you look in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir it is full of jelly. time clean the master cylinder. To check just open the bled valve when you try and retract the pistons. If they are installed properly you will be able to retract them with your fingers when the bled valve is open.

Steve
Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post imported post

Yip, the brakes did cause me problems which brought me round to checking them out in the first place, was doing around 40mph when the bike shuddered to a rather abrupt halt, I tell you this it was scary! definatley was not ready for it, after a roadside inspection I guessed that the rear caliper had seized, the pads had been binding against the disc with the reaction that the fluid had bolied up, expanded and locked the whole system, managed to limp her home, decided I would change the pads as I was going to be removing the caliper anyway.

Agree with what you all are saying and have come round to thinking that the master cylinder my be at fault.

Is the master cylinder servicable, I know that there is a pressure valve in there, could this be at fault as well?

frankiemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

I would take a real good look at the caliper . Because I have one (used spare)that I was saving for the Aspy because I knew the one on therewas going bad. Well I attempted to push the pistons back to loadit before it put it on the bike. They wouldn't budge I took my very large channellocks and forced them back.

Well it took more effort than I'm comfortable with . Saying that there is no way that these things (pistons)will ever retract when compressed so I will have to try to get them out to rebuild the caliper or find another one . And the whole thing is that the caliper looks like it came from a low mileage bike. And I've had it for about 5 yrs .

So that being said I would really check the caliper good . Those pistons should with out fluid pressure on them should go back with very easy
That\'s why I have two wings
AL

Right winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Goldwing Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

The master cylinder is serviceable and you can get rebuild kits for about $25 online. That would be the first thing I'd do. Then look at the caliper issue. That caliper is only going to work as well as the device supplying and retrieving the brake fluid it needs to function.

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
Xtracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum